The world may be cold and bleak right now but there's a bit of warmth to be had, because an all new Bullet Sunday starts... now...
• WWDD? I am very late to the party with What Would Diplo DO? but am very glad that Hulu recommended it to me. James Van Der Beek plays a parody of real-life DJ Diplo and the result is some of the funniest television I've ever seen. I can't believe that Diplo signed off on this (as well as produced it). I hesitate to link to this (NSFW) trailer because the show is so much better than this would indicate, but here it is...
It seems impossible we haven't seen a second season since the show was originally released in 2017. Since there's only five episodes available (which I've already watched twice), I need more Diplo in my life.
• Deeply Faked. I was disappointed by The Irishman... everybody involved has done better work elsewhere and I was bored by it all. But I did watch it. And a big part of the movie is the fact that the story is told over a long period of time. So Netflix had to pony up a big chunk of money for computer FX to de-age the characters. It was done well enough that it wasn't distracting... nor did it stray too far into uncanny valley territory. But it wasn't terribly convincing either. Which is why I find the fact that some guy used free "deep fake" tools to do a much better job of it for zero dollar so amusing...
These are the same free tools that did a far superior job of replacing Superman's face after Henry Cavill couldn't shave his mustache for Justice League. I wonder how long until Hollywood gets smart about these tools. I also wonder how long before faked video is indistinguishable from authentic video... and how that's going to change the world. What happens when you can't tell what's real any more?
• HEADLINE: 32-year-old Medford man fighting severe flu case. I stopped getting the flu vaccine because it never seemed to make a difference. I started again when I became a granduncle because I wanted to take every possible precaution that I wouldn't get him sick. My doctor once asked me if I had gotten my flu shot and I told him that I stopped doing that. His reply? "Well, 50,000 people a year die from the flu, but it's your call." That didn't change my mind, but I see this story and what he said is stuck in my head. 32 years old. Man, I wish this poor guy the best of luck and hope he gets better soon. Get your flu vaccine, people. And if you want to know more about it, the CDC has a page for that.
• Front and Center. Holy cats! This $3 utility restores MacOS X window functionality so that clicking on one window will bring all windows for that app to the front. I have NO idea why Apple changed this behavior from all the MacOS's before X, but it drives me insane. And now it's BACK, baby. No idea how much I've missed this. 100% critical app.
• WAKANDA FOREVER! Yo, Marvel Studios... what is it going to take to get an M'Baku series on Disney+? The guy steals every single scene he's in! He lives in one of the most magical places on earth! He's a character everybody loves! Winston Duke is a cinematic treasure! It's like... how many pieces need to click together before you do what needs to be done? Is Kevin Feige asleep at the wheel?
And who wouldn't guest star in THAT piece of awesome? Black Panther? Shuri? Okoye? Nakia? They could all make an appearance. This is a show that's begging to be made.
And now for some hot chocolate.
I love comments! However, all comments are moderated, and won't appear until approved. Are you an abusive troll with nothing to contribute? Don't bother. Selling something? Don't bother. Spam linking? Don't bother.
I’m not anti-vax. But I do believe we need to pick and choose what vaccines make the most sense for us. I work in medicine and they force everyone to get the flu vaccine. Despite this every year many of my co-workers get the flu. This year the vaccine made me so sick I thought I had the flu. It never seems to cover which ever flu goes through our area and is just lining big pharma’s pockets. I’ve had a couple bad experiences with vaccines and know that they can be dangerous and aren’t always worth the risk of getting them. And although occasionally someone might die from getting the flu, odds are the shot wouldn’t have helped them. Most likely wouldn’t have covered the type that killed them or if it did it’s only a percentage of protection. Also a small percentage of vaccines kill people.
Big pharma pays big money to scare people into believing everybody needs every vaccine. We are an extremely manipulated population with very few protections. The media is controlled and fearmongering is rampant. We are ambushed by massive propaganda campaigns. When you start to see lots of media coverage of something and big pharma, insurance, big oil, or some other huge controlling entity are the beneficiaries, beware. You probably think I’m a conspiracy theorist but if you watch you’ll see it. It’s there and it influences how the population thinks. I cringe when I hear people parrot the propaganda we are fed.
I just trust the science and research behind all of it. I kind of discount Big Pharma in THIS instance because they don’t get boat-loads of money out of the standard vaccination set. And insurance companies most certainly would not cover the cost of the vaccinations unless they were effective and saves them money in the long-run, which is my biggest indicator that vaccines are necessary. You can bet your life that if vaccines weren’t effective or caused more health problems than they solve or prevent, insurance companies would absolutely not spend the money on them. I am willing to bet that the insurance companies study all this VERY closely (always wanting to save a buck) and would cut them in a heartbeat if they even thought it wasn’t needed.
With the de-aging…isn’t that guy just running the program on captured video stream and not huge files of raw footage….and for that part the footage was already run through a de-ager, so….
The face is deep-faked… entirely replaced. The technology uses existing features to map a new face on top.