In celebration of Pride Month for all my GLBT friends, welcome to an all-gay edition of Bullet Sunday!
• Icky. Former presidential candidate Mike Huckabee is being more stupid and intolerant than usual, which shouldn't surprise me... but somehow does. Because just when you think there's a limit as to how ignorant somebody could possibly get, they come along with something new to prove you wrong. In an interview in The New Yorker today, Huckabee unleashed such gems as "Male and female are biologically compatible to have a relationship. We can get into the ick factor, but the fact is two men in a relationship, two women in a relationship, biologically, that doesn’t work the same." — And yet, against all odds and despite their "biological incompatibility," gays manage to have lasting, meaningful, committed relationships just fine. Which leaves us with the real reason Huckabee opposes homosexuality... it's "icky." Well you stupid fucking tool, I feel that eating meat is "icky" so does that give me justification for forcing my personal vegetarian beliefs on the entire country? So much for the Land of the Free... where you're free just so long as Mike Huckabee doesn't feel the freedoms you choose to enjoy are icky.
• NOH8. I am happy to see that the NOH8 Campaign shows no signs of slowing down, and has released a beautiful new advertisement which shows that support for marriage equality is universal...
I hope I live to see a day where people are afforded the right to be who they are and love who they choose. The inhumanity of consenting adults being told their love is worthless and undeserving of marriage is a disgusting violation of personal liberty that sickens me to my very core.
• Platform. Heaven only knows I love Texas, but the latest turd crapped out of the ass of the Texas Republican Party has laid a stench over the entire state. It's a stunning 25-page platform summary which advocates everything from rescinding the USA's membership in The United Nations and opposing a worldwide currency, to eliminating hate-crime legislation and banning legalization of sodomy (i.e. no marriage for you, gay blasphemers!). It's a largely entertaining (if not outright hysterical) read... that totally scares the crap out of me. Given the massive anti-gay stance of the Texas Republican Party, I am fully expecting a massive number of homosexual scandals to rock the organization any minute now, as history has thus far shown.
• 20/20. Today's word in the TWENTY/TWENTY meme is "panic." Fortunately, this is an easy word to work into today's gay-themed Bullet Sunday, because it encapsulates so nicely the opposition to gay rights...
These people are so terrified of anybody who is different from them... so horrified at the existence of anything which is contrary to their beliefs... so frightened of that which challenges their weak faith... that they live in a constant state of panic. Unfortunately, it's a panic they are unwilling to keep to themselves, as these photos from Philly Pride 2008 so readily show.
• Fight. When it comes to equality, there isn't much more for me to say above what I've already said...
...except keep fighting the good fight, my friends!
And now I suppose I had better get to bed since I have another bone-crushing 18-hour day ahead of me again tomorrow.
I love comments! However, all comments are moderated, and won't appear until approved. Are you an abusive troll with nothing to contribute? Don't bother. Selling something? Don't bother. Spam linking? Don't bother.
I read that article and felt like I was watching an episode of “The 700 Club” on steroids. Hold on to your seats, America…in two years, this is what we’re getting.
Three words to describe the direction we’re going in: Regresssion, not progression.
No. Sorry. Texas gave us Lyndon Baines Johnson and George W. Bush. The similarities between the two get more frightening the more you look. I am actually in favor of Texas independence. Quickly. Like NOW.
and, i’d like to point out that “judgment” is spelled incorrectly on dude’s sign.
Thank you for your never ending support, Dave!
Another great post where you nail it right on the head. It’s fear of others different than them that makes these hateful protesters a sad sorry bunch.
Why is it they cannot spell? Why do I have to look at the obvious spewing of their ignorance and have to look at incorrectly spelled words?
We had an excellent turnout for our Pride Festival here. It was peaceful and fun.
Dave, I always really love and am inspired by your Pride posts. (And ‘toons!) I get discouraged by the haters too easily, but you keep coming up with new ways to say it. Thank you!
Thanks for your support, Dave!
Think I’m glad I read your post and then watched the NOH8 video.
What the hell is wrong with people? Can’t spell, can’t use their brains, open their hearts and minds…
Just makes me hate people all over again…
I hate the gays, too. Always making us straight people look bad. Like every time I read the Sunday Style section and there is an amazingly decorated house that was renovated from being a complete shitbox, it belongs to “Stephen X and his partner of 21 years, Ray.” Bastards, snacking on homemade breadsticks and drinking Oregon Pinot with their closest friends. Anyone who can so cunningly combine Balinese wood carvings with Route 66 memorabilia in a poolside tea pavilion doesn’t deserve to marry. Just sayin.
Oooh can we have the Pride Dave for an iPhone/iPad wallpaper? Lovely…
And thank you for the support! 🙂
I LOVE the NOH8 video! Yay for American Idol contestants (even though I didn’t like them) sticking up for mah rightz! Also…was that little person in the video the same one that was in My Monday Muse four weeks ago?!?!
Yep, that’s Selene Luna! She’s pops up in a lot of cool stuff. I think she’s friends with Margaret Cho, and she has a website here