The good thing about taking those late, late-night, red-eye flights? Well... if you're connecting to another flight, sometimes you can save a chunk of money because you're connecting to a cheap, early-ass flight that nobody wants to bother with. You're also saving money because you don't have to get a hotel that night, and can just sleep on the plane. Also, if you have premium flyer status, your odds of getting upgraded to First Class are scary-good. On the surface, it's a good deal all the way around. The only penalty being that you are flying overnight at a late hour, which can be a bit rough on a person mentally and physically.
Well, that's not the only penalty...
- Because it's at night, you're not flying with the "business crowd"... it's mostly families. Families dragging their small children on a flight that doesn't leave until waaayyyy past their bedtime. So they're crying. And screaming. A lot.
- And because there's money to be saved, you're often flying with no-frills budget fliers who are bringing their own stinky food and crazy-ass noisy entertainment onboard (a SIMON game... seriously?!?).
- You get a lot of inexperienced fliers who make life miserable for everybody else. Everything from idiots arriving too late and having to cut in line at security to make their flight (and then not having ID and ticket ready).... to morons who try to shove a huge-ass suitcase through the X-ray machine (and then don't know to toss their liquids out or remove their keys from their pocket).
- Because all the airline problems and delays seem to snowball and compile by the end of the day, you're odds of having a delayed flight are worse than usual. This is an immediate concern to me, since it's going to make for a tight connection in the morning.
- At night is when all the crazies come out. There are some seriously fucked up people at this airport tonight.
So, do the positives outweigh the negatives?
Well... right now I'm tempted to say no. Waiting here for my delayed flight with total insanity going on around me is the stuff of nightmares. And I have never been able to sleep on a plane no matter how tired I am.
Except... I am getting three days vacation at an insanely cheap cost before I have to fly to work, so I'm not sure.
Guess I'll know once it's all over.