I threw my back out. Again. This is profoundly disappointing given that I just went through this four months ago. Hope you like your bullets pain-killer-induced.
• Shower? And so the Perseid Meteor Shower peaked this weekend. Despite fairly clear skies, I saw none of it. Needless to say, I'm disappointed. But it's not like an insomniac such as myself has a better way to spend their time than looking for it, so I guess that's how it goes. My failure was somewhat offset by this amazing shot of what it looked like from space...
That shot was tweeted by astronaut Ron Garan from the International Space Station. If you're on Twitter, you must follow this guy, because he's always posting cool stuff like this. If you're not on Twitter, he makes it worth checking out.Also tweeting from space? Astronaut Clayton Anderson. And that's just the tip of the Twitter iceberg. Goddard Space Flight Center... plus dozens more cool NASA-related tweeters are waiting for you.
• Race? Few discussions can become polarizing and nasty quicker than talking about race relations in America. And yet it's a discussion that must be had. Lucky for us Kelly is willing to lead the charge, again, and this time it starts off (oddly enough) with a cake. Essential reading for the human race.
• Really? Yesterday I blogged about the blatant homophobic insanity that seems to be dominating Republican politics, and how a growing majority of Americans are sick and tired of anti-gay policy attacking our friends, family, and neighbors. The worst offender is Rick Santorum, who can't seem to open his mouth without spouting some kind of stupid homophobic crap. Second runner-up on the homophobia bandwagon is Michele Bachmann, who doesn't necessarily want to destroy the gays... she just wants to strip these "barbarians" of all their rights until they have no choice but to enroll in one of her husband's Christian counseling clinics to "pray the gay away."
And now we learn that she won the Ames Straw Pole in Iowa.
If she wins her party's nomination... if she somehow ends up as President of the United States... I can't fathom the ramification for human rights in this country. Hell, I can't fathom the continued existence of our country under her reign of batshit crazy...
At this rate, it looks like I'll be voting for Spongebob Squarepants for president.
• Dead? One of the bigger television surprises for me last season was The Walking Dead. As a loose adaptation of one of my favorite comic book series, it was almost too good to be true. A part of this was because they got the original creator, Robert Kirkman, to be a producer... but the lion's share of the credit could undoubtedly be dropped on the doorstep of Frank Darabont. He was the genius who developed the series for television and became executive producer for the series. Which went on to become a massive hit... with viewers and critics alike. So what does AMC Television do with their new-found pot of gold? Cut the budget and fire Darabont. Which just goes to show... television executives can be enormous douchebag dumbfucks regardless of which network they helm. How this will affect the quality of the second season is anybody's guess.
Photo by Greg Nicotero for AMCtv.com © 2011 TWD Productions, LLC
• Eureka? In more sad geek news, the SyFy Channel has cancelled EUReKA! This bizarre turn of events signals an end to original sci-fi programming on a network created for sci-fi programming. The best originals they have to offer now is supernatural drama like the Being Human remake or paranormal fantasy like Warehouse 13. "SyFy" is mostly reality television and pro wrestling now. I guess I shouldn't be surprised... MTV Music Television rarely plays music any more, why should this be any different?
And that's all the bullets for this week. Be sure to tune in next Bullet Sunday for more drug-indiced ramblings.
I love comments! However, all comments are moderated, and won't appear until approved. Are you an abusive troll with nothing to contribute? Don't bother. Selling something? Don't bother. Spam linking? Don't bother.
That photo is insanely awesome!
WTF – are there not any intelligent women who run for office, or what? Michelle Bachmann is so fucking ignorant – I can’t even discuss it anymore… GAAAHHHHHH.
I’m really worried about The Walking Dead, now. It’s the ONE show my husband and I could watch together (seriously – the ONLY one)!
Sorry your back is out, hope you feel better soon!
I tried and failed at seeing the Perseids too. Not late enough, moon too bright, and then cloudy/raining. Sigh.
Awesome space shot though.
As for Eureka, it’s had a pretty good run and still has more episodes to come next year. It lost its appeal for me when they rewrote their universe.
Love Warehouse 13 though and it’s coming back next year.
Oh no! Having just gone through it myself, I know it REALLY sucks. Glad you have drugs – take care D2, hope your back gets better ASAP.
I don’t know how much I can agree with you, but here it goes: Great meteor shower pic- can’t get much better than being up at the source! Bachmann is an idiot and will always be an idiot- can’t wait for her husband’s gay scandal revel! It can’t be that far in the future… The studio execs who let go of The Walking Dead’s showrunner are complete morons- I hope it survives and delivers, but only time will tell. As far as Syfy, besides the name being complete blasphemy, the idea of cancelling a series before the currently filmed season even airs is bullshit. They don’t care about the ratings, they need a bit more room for wrestling. Or non-existent ghosts. Or something other than enjoyable programming. RIP SciFi!!!!!
I had no idea Spongebob was a potential candidate. I hope he picks someone other than Patrick for his running mate. That could hurt his chances greatly.
Bachmann winning the straw poll was a bit of a surprise, but I guess if she does actually win the GOP nomination, we are in for a world of hurt and hate.
This is the third show that I watched and liked that SyFy cancelled. (RIP Caprica and SGU) I am just crossing my fingers that Haven isn’t the next to go.
They fired Darabont??? WTF?!?!
Crap! I love Eureka! I’m also a big fan of The Walking Dead and Darabont, I’m hoping it doesn’t affect the show. Fingers crossed!