Once again feeling like the luckiest person on earth that I can show up in a city far from home and manage to find such an amazing group of people who would spend their valuable time hanging out with me. I don't know that I could ever adequately express just how much it means, but every time in every city... from the bottom of my heart... I am so very grateful. Who could have ever imagined that this stupid blog would add so much to my life? The people I meet, online and offline, have made my world so much bigger... so much richer... than I could have ever imagined.
The day was pretty simple, actually. Newark to New York. Hotel room not ready. Upper East Side. Downtown. Johnny Rockets (veggie burgers in stock, w00t!). Hotel room still not ready. Hard Rock Cafe Yankee Stadium. Hotel room ready! Times Square. Dave York. Union Square. Times Square. Good times had by all.
Thanks so much to those who could come along!
As usual, I was too busy talking with everybody to remember to take pictures... but a lot of photos were taken, so I'll be sure to link to them once they're up!
Just some random notes...
• If you're going to visit the brand new Hard Rock Cafe at New Yankee Stadium, it's probably best to NOT do so on a game day unless you have tickets to the game. It took me 20 minutes of going from one place to another to another to another before somebody would actually let me in the cafe. I guess everybody thought I was trying to sneak into the game or something, so I kept getting passed around. The cafe itself is smaller than I thought it would be, but quite nice...
• I usually don't like to have blogger meets at Hard Rock Cafes because the loud music makes it hard to talk, and they are usually more interested in turning tables than letting people sit round and chat... but the Hard Rock Cafe Times Square was absolutely fantastic. Again! We had an amazing server taking good care of us, and it was a great experience all the way around. Thanks to everybody there for making Dave York... and now Dave York 2... such a great success!
• When it comes to embarrassing you on your birthday... even when it's not really your birthday anymore... people you consider to be friends will happily report you to the "Birthday Humiliation Squad" so you have to stand on top of a chair in the middle of a crowded restaurant with a flaming hot-fudge sundae in one hand (your dignity in the other) while people scream "happy birthday" at you... all because they think it makes for great photo fodder on their blogs. The bastards!
• When they say "DO NOT TAKE THIS MEDICATION WITH ALCOHOL" on your prescription labels, it's probably a good idea to follow those directions. A couple shots of Jäger on top of my pills had my brain struggling to keep up with happenings around me. Which can be fun... or dangerous... depending on the situation.
• I really am one of the luckiest people on earth. Thanks again to everybody for such a great night!
UPDATE: Photos are slowly coming through. Like this one of my and ETinNY he sent me...
Peace out, baby!
And this shot of me accepting my un-birthday humiliation from Dawg's Flickr Set...
I'm the King of The World, bitches!
And some terrific shots from the ever-adorable Poppy's Flickr Stream (she has marked a set for Dave York 2, but only put one photo in there!)...
Dawg and Poppy with B.E. Earl.
Robin, Libragirl, B.E. Earl, Me, and Cissa!
How non-New Yorkers envision a ride on the subway.
UPDATE: And now Bellaventa and Libragirl have put up a set on Flickr...
UPDATE: And now Cissa has put up her set on Flickr...
I'll add more as I find 'em!
I love comments! However, all comments are moderated, and won't appear until approved. Are you an abusive troll with nothing to contribute? Don't bother. Selling something? Don't bother. Spam linking? Don't bother.
Your quote: “I really am one of the luckiest people on earth.” You ARE, so stop with the “I have a boring life” crap. Congrats to you for being interesting to others, having insight and a world view that others appreciate. Your “stupid blog” means a lot to many people. I would be honored to meet you one day, but I really have a life that sucks, so I realize that is unlikely. Enjoy what you have; it is worlds beyond the best I could ever expect.
See! It’s fun standing up on a chair in a restaurant!!! It is SO!
Good to hear you had a good time. I hear there’s video footage? I’ll have to talk to Poppy about that…
The pleasure was ours. You’re a big-hearted guy.
Seriously, Dave (I’m going to sound all motherly now, but I don’t give a shit) don’t do that with the drugs/alcohol thing. You could have put yourself into a coma or worse.
Be careful with that.
Other than that, so glad you have great meet ups around the world and they turn out fabulous for you!!!
Ha! I want to see that “birthday” photo. I know it’s cheesy, but I love it when the waiters sing to people on their birthdays. 🙂
It sounds like you all had an amazing time! I haven’t been back to NY in quite awhile and I think I need to rectify that toot sweet!
Heh – yeah the no alcohol with medications thing… I’ve totally been there.
I’m glad that Dave York 2 went well.
It was definitely good times… good times… even if your brain was 5 minutes behind your head!
Nothing says “beloved” like a flaming hot-fudge sundae…
I put the video up on YouTube. 🙂
And I didn’t die, so I guess your wish was for naught!
Had a great time!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks for another great post.
It would be awesome to get a post – very, very soon – that the kidney stone has passed; even though there would be related pain.
Best wishes and a belated Happy Birthday
Well, I LOVED the video and I am so glad you guys had such a good time!
I am SO jealous!!
You are quite amazing. You’re feeling so yucky that you’ve got to down some serious drugs, yet you venture out to party with your buddies. Glad a good time was had by all.
I just watched someone’s awesome vid of you making your wish! Congrats, Dave, on another successful meet up and happy, HAPPY birthday!
Happy belated birthday, Dave. I got a kick out of the video NYCWD posted, and am looking forward to all of their pics. I feel the same way about getting to meet my blogging buds. Just about anywhere I go, I can meet up with someone along the way. It’s very rewarding and a lot of fun!
So JEALOUS!! Of them AND you!! I’m glad you had a good time.
I had a great time! Thanks for setting it up. It was really cool meeting you all. And I really liked the Hard Rock. Thought it was a perfect choice.
You are a lucky guy, and I am luckier for knowing you. 🙂 Thanks for coming to New York… Next stop – TequilaCon 2009!!
I really had a great time meeting Dave & everyone,too. If anyone has any trepidations about going to a “Dave-event” I highly recommend it. It was as comfortable as meeting up with a bunch old friends with booze, food, conversation, camaraderie and non-judgmental smoking allowed.
Thanks, again, Dave!
I am so glad we got to meet finally Dave! I had a blast, and thank you for even putting the event together! I got to meet some new people and wow, what an AWESOME TIME!!
I plan on putting up on my Flikr account and blog today!
Another successful Dave York. Always good to see bloggers I’ve never seen before, like B.E. Earl.
The last photo on the subway is a classic. Love it.
Love the shot of you on the Subway. Pure brilliance.
Uhhh… I didn’t post any of her photos… but if you mean the link, I can fix that!
Late HB !! I was going to NY in May but not now.
Maybe I’ll make it there soon and we can have another blogger gathering with a new blogger, me !!
Glad yall had fun !
Be careful with meds and booze. Seriously. You may have ended up in DaveVue. (Bellvue hospital…get it? Nevermind.)
Also, does Dave ever do MA? I Noticed New England has completely been DaveIgnored.
um, not to nitpick, but your “king of the world” pick needs to be flipped horizontally so as to match my avatar more closely.
thank you for your consideration.