Waaaaahhh... I should not be blogging! I have to get up and go to the airport in 4 hours. But I just can't stop myself because it's Bullet Sunday!
• TiVolutionary. The one thing I positively loathe about TiVo is its constant need to "phone home" for updates and crap. Since my TiVo Series One is nowhere near a phone jack, I have to stretch a cord across the room in order for it to do its business. Given what a pain this is, I only do it once a month or so. This makes TiVo very cross indeed, and he sends me error messages every day until he gets his phone call. I'm so adept at ignoring his messages that I only today noticed that it has been six months since TiVo made a call. Oops. I wonder if TiVo ever refuses to work if you haven't dialed in for an extreme amount of time?
• New Frontier. One of my favorite "Absolute" volumes from DC Comics is "The New Frontier" by Darwyn Cooke. It's a very cool retro-style take on super-heroes that's done far better than I would have thought. Now they've gone and made a movie from the material, and I want it pretty bad. Unfortunately, this photo is as close as I'm going to get until it's released on February 26th...
• Powered. Why can't everybody use the same plugs on their power adapters? I've got at least twenty different power adapters, and I am getting tired of trying to figure out which one goes with which peripheral. I thought I was making headway on the problem by choosing a single manufacturer for my external hard drives... the LaCie drives designed by F.A. Porsche. They're beautiful, reliable, and all use the exact same power adapter. Except today I find out that the two new drives I just bought are using a DIFFERENT power adapter than my older drives. WTF?? Bad enough to have different power adapters from different manufacturers... but the SAME manufacturer with the SAME product? What dumbass thought this was a good idea? Surely not F.A. Porsche himself?
• Davelando. Ooh! After my work in Wisconsin, I'm heading down to Orlando for work and fun at Disney World! If anybody is in the area and wants to goof off, just email me and I'll see if we can find a time to meet. There's probably going to be a blogger dinner one of the nights I'm there, but no time has been decided yet.
• Time Machine. And, lastly, can I just give a big "thank you" to whatever Apple Genius came up with their new Time Machine backup software? I've lost count of the number of times my ass has been saved by this remarkable program. I never realized just how many times I need to recover old files until Time Machine arrived.
Ugh... no more bullets. I'd say "good night" but it doesn't make much sense to go to bed when I'm just going to have to get right back up again in a few hours. Oh well. My first class upgrades came in for all my flights, so I guess I'll have plenty of room to get some sleep on the plane.
I love comments! However, all comments are moderated, and won't appear until approved. Are you an abusive troll with nothing to contribute? Don't bother. Selling something? Don't bother. Spam linking? Don't bother.
Ooh, keep me posted about Dave Orlando.
Meanwhile, back at the ranch, there is a groundswell of support in the comment section (meaning two votes) for me to take you on in a dance-off.
Your Tivo is a “he”?? WT…? Didja pick up his skirt and look ‘cuz I honestly don’t think I could tell if either of mine were he’s or she’s. I mean; they both have things sticking out of them, and things that stick into them and Jeez. Nevermind. Have fun in Orlando!
TiVolutionary – So how does it know what shows to record for you if it can’t dial in and get the “TV Guide”?
I like the classic look of New Frontier! (Haven’t seen the comic)
So Tivo is like an old Jewish mother?
Bummer. I just got back from Orlando two days ago. Was hoping to actually meet up, but guess that will have to wait till your next trip to Salt Lake.
BTW, if the weather was anything like it was last week, you will enjoy it. All 4 parks in 75-80 degrees was nice.
Make sure you get on the new Everest Expedition. It’s a pretty cool ride.
I feel your pain w/the power adapters….the same goes for cell phones! I hate when I get a new phone and thus am forced to pay for a new car charger…even if the phone is from the same manufacturer.
I’m a mere 100 miles from Orlando. Keep me posted on your schedule, I love a road trip…
Safe cross country travels. Weather should be nice in Orlando or at least a lot nicer than central WA. Look forward to pics from Disney World.
I had the same problem with my TiVo, so I bought a wireless phone jack system to turn an electrical outlet into a phone jack and that solved the problem. Something like this.
Ride the Tower of Terror for me, Davey-Joe!
Also, wow…my Tivo won’t record crap if it doesn’t dial up at least once every week and a half. Of course, I have mine networked so it uses the wi-fi but still. I can’t believe you can go that long without jacking in!
Well, here’s to hoping you don’t have to sit near a racist pig… oh wait. Too late.
That time machine gadget seems purty cool. Even if it didn’t work at all, I’d probably be entranced by its interface and the galaxy picture so much I wouldn’t care.
Well, one reason for the difference in power adapter plugs is because each adapter outputs different Voltages.
For example, my LaCie drive adapter gives me 12V and 5V depending on the pin, whereas an adapter thats right next to me puts out 24V. Now, were there to be a universal output jack, I could accidentally connect my cell phone (which requires 5v) to this 24V transformer and it would blow the battery.
Hope Orlando brings you lots of warm Disney happiness….I have a ton of blogger friends in Orlando….too bad I couldn’t have worked it out to be there with you…..and my freaky buddies. Hope the trip out was cool.
Is that DC movie already out. It looks cool.
Yay, Davelando! I’ll be e-mailing you.
Just met up with the ninjapoodles clan, and would love to be included on the Davelando blogger dinner. let me know when and where and I’d love to join you!
Speaking of adapters and plugs, I was just getting used to the fact that my iPods and digital camera and Palm Pilot all hooked up to my computer using mini USB and then my new Palm Pilot decided to come with a proprietary hook-up cable. One step forward… two steps back. Grrr…