Bullet Sunday on April 1st? Hmmm... since Blogography is foolish 365 days a year, there doesn't seem to be much point in an April Fool's Day here.
• Happy Baker... As I sit here after a long day of work, my bread-making machine has just kicked into "baking" mode after having spent the past three hours mixing, rising, and blending the dough. As it bakes, the bread is smelling like paradise wrapped in an orgasm. I hope I can restrain the urge to stick my head in the machine before it's done.
• Super-Less... As I wrote back in December, the Superman Movie Ultimate Collector Set I bought arrived with one duplicate DVD and one missing DVD. As I also wrote, the bastards at Warner Home Video wouldn't just let me swap the duplicate... I had to return the entire set and re-order it. Well, guess what? The set has entirely sold out, and there doesn't seem to be plans to produce more of them. So now I can't order it unless I pay huge money for a second-market copy. Great. I should have just kept the bad set and purchased the one movie I was missing, which would have been infinitely cheaper than buying it now. Warner Home Video fuckers. Your customer service sucks ass, and thanks for screwing me for something that was your mistake.
• Contract-Free... Based on the rumors that Apple was coming out with a mobile phone, I didn't renew my contract with Verizon when it came due last summer. Back in January, I was rewarded when the iPhone was unveiled at MacWorld for a June release. While I wait for iPhone, Verizon is doing their best to get me to sign a new contract. At first it was just reminders. Then it was an analysis of my calling plan and offers to save money if I signed a new contract. Then it was special offers for high-end phone rebates if I signed. Now I've received an offer for a free month of service and a sweet new phone... if I sign a 2-year contract. It seems the longer I wait, the better the offers get. Well, since Verizon stupidly passed on the iPhone when they had the chance, none of this is enough to win me back. I guess the moral of the story is... unless you are needing a new phone immediately after your contract ends, you might want to wait a few months before re-signing to see what extras your carrier will offer to keep you.
• Suffer Well... I don't normally add outside content to my blog, preferring to make everything here myself. But last week I discovered something so amazing, that I just can't resist. As a side-promotion for their album Playing the Angel, Depeche Mode recreated one of their songs, Suffer Well, for a video game extension to The Sims 2 called "Open for Business." Believe it or not, the track is sung in "Simlish," which is the official nonsensical "language" of the game's characters. That alone would be great, but the video that goes along with the song is just amazing. This is an embedded YouTube movie, which may require you to click out of a feed-reader, if you are using one. To download the video direct from Depeche Mode's site, here's that link.
• Vista Activation... Unlike Apple, Microsoft does not make the hardware on which their Windows Vista OS runs. Because of this, it is understandable that they would want to stop piracy of their software, because that's all they have to make their money. But I am here to tell you... if you ever run into a problem with your Vista installation and end up needing a new activation key, you're f#@%ed. Friday morning I booted into Vista to check a website error, and received a nasty black screen telling me that a critical component of the OS was missing. Nothing I did could solve the problem, so I ended up reformatting the partition and completely reinstalling Vista. This resulted in me not being able to "activate" Vista again, because it was telling me the activation key was already in use. I couldn't use telephone re-activation for some reason, so I ended up calling support. After three telephone transfers, numerous conversations, and being put on hold a half-dozen times, I finally got my new key. Total time: FIFTY-EIGHT MINUTES! That's right, an HOUR gone from my life. In the meanwhile, Vista activation has been cracked, so the only people suffering here are NOT software pirates, but legal Microsoft customers. Shouldn't it be the other way around? As if I didn't hate Windows Vista enough already... sheesh.
• You Can Dance... Courtesy of Frances Danger, I've put a music-type meme in an extended entry...
Bah! I need another day in my weekend. This Sunday went by way too fast.
I love comments! However, all comments are moderated, and won't appear until approved. Are you an abusive troll with nothing to contribute? Don't bother. Selling something? Don't bother. Spam linking? Don't bother.
Yes, this needed to be a three-day weekend.
That video is really cool, and the music is great.
I loved the Thompson Twins too, but the Talking Heads were probably my fav back in the day. I just love David Byrne — sheer genius!
Sweet – that video is awesome! And yes, it worked just fine from my feeder. 🙂
Hon, you need to do a bit of editing on that entry. You left parts of FD’s answers in on some of those.
You are certainly steadfast in your DM devotion!
Avitable… Or a seven-day weekend would be good…
Geeky Tai-Tai… Oh yeah… like me The Talking Heads!
Jeff… I am shocked I never knew about it earlier. It was very much under the radar for Depeche Mode fans.
Fruitcake… Yeah, I had tried to rebuild the entry, but the extended part never changed. I finally just cut and pasted and rebuilt and it seems to be right now?
I kinda liked the part about you being a psychoactive little girl; it made me laugh earlier.
That video was freaking awesome – thanks for posting it. Suffer Well is my current reigning DM obsession right now so it was great to see that. The video really fits how I envision that song…swank!
But aren’t we all psychoactive little girls deep down inside?
They’re going to launch Vista at work sometime next year. I am not amused.
Also, I’m thinking I probably should have just held out instead of breaking my verizon contract early, it seems you’re getting the better deal!
yeah, doesn’t everyone have a secret desire to be a famous rock star?
Windows Vista be damned!! And I thought their activation scheme was ludicrous and cumbersome in its XP incarnation!
Thompson Twins, The Furs, AND Badly Drawn Boy? Again, I reiterate my desire to have you fill my iPod.
Now I have to get to a PC to see that video.
Awww….poor widdle robot!
That video is hysterical…love the Simlish!
I heard a rumor that buying the iPhone as open or whatever it’s called when the phone isn’t tied to a particular service provider would be possible. Maybe you can do that? Since the phone is already ridiculously expensive as it is, an open version should be a minimal additional cost.
Hmm, I’ve been wondering whether to try out Sims2 anyway. I have never played any of them. I went out looking for it yesterday, but no one had it – and I ended up with Lara Croft Legends instead (another I have never played.) I’m on Spring break, and I plan on being useless. 😉 That’s my extended weekend. Now I just need palm trees and rum.
I definitely think we should campaign for the seven-day weekend.
Awesome video. If the Sims are cool enough to get Depeche, I may have to break down and get it.
Customer Service via phone is the reason I believe people take weapons in to Post Offices and discharge them…
I’ve had Verizon for years… hold out for the IPhone…
I am also a Superman fan.. but I had heard the same problem you had with the DVD set that I’ve just decided to not get any of it…
The question you have to ask is… “Do I need a Director’s Edition of Superman IV: Quest for Peace”?
The answer of course is NO.
Bread making machine? Will you marry me?
Great music meme, as a former band front-gal, I may have to attempt it…
There is no parallel to the horror that is customer service via phone. But as a post office employee friend of mine always reminds me: “we only harm our own”…
And I’m a psychoactive little girl right up front…
So what happens when your contract expires? Mine (with Verizon) is due to end this month so i’m curious as to what happens – does the service continue and you pay the $55 oops i mean $72 withtheinflatedandmadeupnames costs but can cancel whenever you like or do they just switch the service off and because you purchased verizon you now have a useless brick as a phone?
Once your contract has expired, they continue to charge you what you were paying. I’m sure they COULD raise your rates if you fly without a contract, but it would be incredibly stupid. That would just make customers want to switch more!
The main benefit to renewing your contract has always been getting a new phone. Since I don’t want the phones Verizon is pushing, that’s not an issue for me.
I’m sorry, I can’t get past all the Depeche Mode stuff….it is bringing up major memories of my younger days and the Depeche Mode slow songs at the school dances…and then, you bring up The Thompson Twins. “Into the Gap” was the VERY first cassette I ever bought.
That video is so cool. I loved it when the ‘bot turned down the girl – but I’m in that kind of mood today! I love my bread making machine – I used to have a fantastic cheese and red onion recipe. It had something in it that was strange but beautiful… only I can’t remember what the hell it is! If I find it I will send it on.
You make me love Depeche Mode… The video is cool ! 🙂
P.S. I like your last answer !!! 😉
Lily Allen recorded a Sims 2 video for “Smile” in Simlish…
Watch it fast, cause the first one I grabbed a couple weeks ago is gone, and this one may be unavailable soon, too.
That. Is. So. COOL! Thanks for the link! 🙂
self-proclaimed Sims fanatic here. been playing since the early years. in the game on the “college radio” station there are 10 or 12 real songs done in Simlish (I can’t find out what they are without the game running, but i know one is “Sway” by the Perishers, which was on the Veronica Mars soundtrack). Thanks for posting that Lily Allen one, Erin, that sim looked just like her! cracks me up. Makes me want to get the new expansion pack, Seasons.
I may have to do that meme…