CatBus

Posted on Wednesday, July 29th, 2009

Dave!I am back home for seven hours before I have to turn around and leave again. That's just enough time to pack a fresh suitcase, print my travel documents, grab dinner, and get a couple hours of sleep.

I've had it worse.

The only problem is that my internet is all flakey, so I have to spend my final hours of freedom disconnected from the world. I can't decide if that's a good thing or a bad thing. On one hand, I'm so far behind on reading blogs and responding to email that I may now never get caught up. On the other hand, I can sit down and watch My Neighbor Totoro for the millionth time. I'm still riding on my high from seeing Miyazaki-san last night, and want to take a look at the film while his comments are still fresh in my head. Fortunately, it's a movie I never get tired of watching, and I discover something new every time I watch it.

Besides, I love NekoBasu (CatBus)...

CatBus!

Traveling via flying NekoBasu would be a lot more fun than the three airplanes I'm taking tomorrow.

Tags: , ,
Categories: Travel 2009Click To It: Permalink

Comments

1. undisciplined says:

Totoro was released as a double feature with the movie Grave of the Fireflies, of which I’m sure you’ve seen and know the subject matter. In the scene where Mei and Satsuki raise the giant tree from the seedlings with Totoro,(my favorite scene by the way), you ever notice how the tree growing up out of the ground resembles a nuclear mushroom cloud? I wonder if Miyazaki meant that as a subtle anti-war message? Or perhaps I’m assuming too much! :)

This CatBus looks pretty interesting. I’ve heard of Totoro, but have never watched it.

Hope you get some sleep before your trip.

3. Traveling via NekoBasu would be awesome, until it had to hork up a hairball. :)

4. kilax says:

I wish I rode the CatBus to work instead of this stupid train. Or maybe a CatTrain?

5. Sarah says:

Don’t forget clean underwear.

6. Michelle M. says:

I can’t wait to see Ponyo!

7. whall says:

I still have yet to discover or explore this love of whatever-san.

8. Jacki says:

I think there is a theme park somewhere in the world that is based on his movies and characters. Seeing the CatBus reminded me.

9. Dave2 says:

I don’t know of a theme park, but there is the Ghibli Museum in Tokyo. I’ve been fortunate enough to have visited, and it’s pretty sweet!

10. Lydia says:

Thanks for recommending My Neighbor Totoro.
    Completely enchanting!

11. The growing trees scene is superb, sublime, a masterpiece of cinema. Your suggestion of a subtle anti-war message is valuable.