• Lost is Lost... This morning I awoke to find a couple of emails from people pointing me to a story in The Washington Post about how Lost has plummeted in the television ratings and may be facing cancelation. I could try to act surprised, but what's the point? The show sucks ass. It was a brilliant concept that started out as a lot of fun, then disintegrated into boredom when the writers were either too stupid or too lazy to try and come up with cool new mysteries, choosing instead to drag out the same old shit... FOREVER. I mean, holy crap... I was pointing out this problem ALMOST TWO YEARS AGO, and I'm not even in television! Are the people running the show on crack? It's like a lesson in what NOT to do, where everybody sees the wreck coming except the people driving the bus. Next up... Heroes! Or will they learn from Lost's mistakes in time?
• Best Breakfast Ever... Snack-Pack Chocolate Pudding, five Golden Oreo cookies, and a glass of chocolate milk.
• Spirit of Vengeance... One of the cooler comic book creations, Ghost Rider, has finally been given the movie treatment starring long-time comic fan Nicholas Cage. And here's the thing... despite the shitty reviews, I enjoyed this film. Cage totally had a handle on the character, injecting humor where appropriate and not taking the role too seriously. The special effects were kick-ass. The story was entertaining. But, most importantly, there was enough action to keep things moving and the film was fairly faithful to the comics. What's not to love? It amazes me that reviewers are going to a movie about a flaming skeleton riding a motorcycle thinking it will be about something else, then are disappointed to find out it actually IS about a flaming skeleton riding a motorcycle. Well, duh. It's not supposed to be Shakespeare, it's just a cheesy popcorn flick. Taking it for what it is, I found it brilliant, and will be buying it on DVD.
• Not-So-Daily Show... Whilst clearing old shows off my TiVo, I ran across the October 26th, 2006 episode of The Daily Show which I've saved because it is one of my all-time favorites. Remembering that The Daily Show can be purchased at the iTunes Music Store, I thought I would just buy the episode so I could free up some space on my TiVo box. Well, it was a good plan, except that you can only purchase the last 8 episodes and nothing before that. WHY? I would think that one of the benefits of selling shows online is that you have a library of archived shows to offer for sale. Both The Daily Show and The Colbert Report have segments and guests that demand future exploration... why not offer them? Once again I am put in a position where my only option is to acquire the show "unofficially" — not by choice, but by stupid circumstance.
• Un-Trekable... Speaking of the iTunes Music Store... I was thrilled that the new "re-mastered" episodes of the original (i.e. "real") Star Trek were being offered for sale. Now, for reasons unknown, Paramount has withdrawn them. Which means last week's brilliant update of The Doomsday Machine and this week's beautiful tweaks to the classic Amok Time are nowhere to be found. WTF?!? So here I am, again, perfectly willing to pay money to get something I want, yet my only option is to hope somebody has uploaded it to BitTorrent. Oh well, T'Pring is a total bitch hottie at $1.99 or $0.00, so it's all the same to me. The only loser here is Paramount. Dumbasses. They will, of course, blame internet piracy for lost profits when it's their own stupid asses who are refusing to take my money.
• Six Meme... After avoiding the "Six Weird Things About You Meme" like the plague, Kyle descended like the Black Death and infected me with it. So here goes... 1) I don't like coffee or coffee-flavored products, which I don't think is weird, but others sure do. 2) I am perfectly happy watching the same movies over and over again... I've seen such films as EuroTrip, The Long Kiss Goodnight, The Fifth Element, and Bedazzled dozens of times. 3) I have written exactly one fan letter in my entire life... it was to 80's Atari Computer game programmer Tom Hudson, and I still have his kind reply stuffed in a box somewhere. 4) My love of all things Betty White is not a joke... I really do think she kicks ass, and am a huge fan. 5) I am a total comic book geek, and own over 12,000 of them. 6) Weirdest of all? I write in my blog every day and this is the one-thousand-six-hundred-and-thirty-fifth time I've done so. FINI) I'm breaking the rules by not tagging six people now, but I don't tag.
Three weeks until TequilaCon...
I love comments! However, all comments are moderated, and won't appear until approved. Are you an abusive troll with nothing to contribute? Don't bother. Selling something? Don't bother. Spam linking? Don't bother.
your “unofficial sources” for download will affect a whole generation of blog-readers. Congratulations!
James confuses me.
Anyhow, I’m with you on the coffee issue. I’m not a fan.
However, I AM a fan of Tequila-Con! Whoo hoo! I’ve booked my hotel, and everything!
I had your back, Dave. I wanted to tag you when I did it, but since I am such a good girl and knew better, I left you alone…and yet, you’ve got the disease ;).
We’re going to see “flaming Cage” tomorrow so thanks for the review. Nic Cage is awesome enough to watch in a semi-okay flick.
Why can’t reviewers accept that often times mind candy is a good thing. When I see a totally cheesy “popcorn flick” I don’t want to think, or be intrigued, or made to cry or any of that crap. I want to laugh, zone out and take a break from my life for 80+ minutes! I will be renting this one when it comes out on DVD.
I just saw a rerun of Comedy Central’s William Shatner roast. For my money Betty White was the funniest roaster there that night.
Speaking of them, I don’t get Comedy Central either on why they wouldn’t offer archive Jon Stewart episodes. I mean why not? Sheesh.
I was suppose to tag six people? Damn you and those breakfasts!
That extreme WS with the 3 tiny figures (Kirk, McCoy, and Spock) crossing the rock bridge to get to Spock’s ancestral marriage grounds was probably one of those re-mastered shots now that you mention it. The only thing that crossed my mind when I saw it was how cool it was- it still totally fit in though.
Adena… But you’re like, only an hour away… right? Woooooh! Adena is going to par-tay! 🙂
Hilly… I hope you like it! It’s about the best flaming skeleton on a bike movie I’ve ever seen!
Mooselet… Then this flick is perfect for you! 😀
Jeff… Hopefully they will come to their senses so I can buy a copy one of these days. 🙁
Nancy… Pudding makes for a most excellent breakfast… even if it is a mooshy food!
Claire… YES! I thought that was an awesome shot addition as well. It really gives a nice perspective on Vulcan, and helps to keep the episode from seeming so claustrophobic.
Right there with ya on Lost and Heroes. I just assumed they were both written by the same bunch of lazy-ass writers. Whoever they are, they have to be laughin’ all the way to the bank. Hell, they’d have to write up to a sixth grade education!
What’s truly shocking is that “Heroes” has the amazing Bryan Fuller as a writer… the genius from “Dead Like Me” and “Wonderfalls.” I have no idea what’s happened, because he hardly played it safe in those two shows and plots kept moving forward at a brisk pace. Yet Heroes is dragging along. Odd.
“Lost” doesn’t shock me so badly. “Alias” went ahead at a breakneck pace with shocking twists, turns, resolutions, and changes… for the first two seasons. Then it took the downward spiral, which seems to be JJ Abrams trademark (as “Lost” has proven).
In any event, it’s a darn shame. Both shows had such potential.
Lost: I didn’t care to watch this show, but now one of my favorite authors Brian K. Vaughan has joined the writing team, so now I’m totally conflicted.
Breakfast: An entire bag of Golden Oreos is a wonderful breakfast as well.
Ghost Rider: I’m happy whenever a comic book is adapted for the screen, but when they release the movie in January or February, well, that makes me nervous. But, I also know that I have a high tolerance for bad movies, so even if this movie gets trashed, chances are, I’ll find something to like about it.
Six Meme: I’m tempted to do this one, but I can’t think of anything weird about myself. I happen to think that everything about me is totally normal … to me. How to be objective on this, hmm…
Thank you for saying what I wanted to say about “Lost”. Why I can’t get my sons to see how pointless this show has become is a mystery. They are young and stupid, but I love them.
Yet, they LOVE “Dead Like Me” and watched some of it tonight with me.
I know it’s sad that every Wednesday I bend over and say “Thank you sir, may I have another?” but I gotta know how ‘Lost’ ends. Their teaser said 3 of the biggest mysteries will be answered this week so despite myself I’m looking forward to it.
I don’t think comic based movies, or any movie based on something outside of cinema, should be put in front of a regular film reviewers. It would be nice if they put it in front of people who know from whence it came. I totally agree, it was the greatest comic book love story since Hellboy.
I watched “Lost” for the first season and a half, until I could no longer see any value in the plot and getting to watch Sawyer for an hour wasn’t enough to get me to tune in anymore.
I am fully addicted to “Heroes”, though, even if it IS creeping by slowly. Oh, and I love “Medium”.
The Long Kiss Goodnight – What a great flick and so many people have never heard of it…
your breakfast sounds good maybe because it has been two weeks since i had sugar. three weeks- yay! 🙂
Cruel man, cruel monkeys!
After a fairly ordinary start to the season, Lost has picked up pace. Sure, there are no answers, but the questions are interesting. Desmond’s episode was a welcome break from Jack blubbing and Sawyer being beaten to a good-looking, shirtless pulp.
Another big win: Charlie has been marked for death. Now we just need Jack to meet Mr Polar Bear (let’s see those surgeon’s skills put to a REAL test) and for dear, ineffectual, oxygen-sucking Claire to be Anna Lucia’d.
As for Heroes, well… it’s fun enough but it only comes in Lite™ variety.
Best case scenario: both shows are scrapped, replaced with Dead Like Me Season 3 and a five year run of Arrested Development.
Eve… I too feel that it is perfectly normal to not like coffee, watch the same movies over and over, write my only fan letter to a computer programmer, love Betty White, and blog… but, surprisingly, many people don’t! Oh well. We geeks still have each other. 🙂
Mocha… What’s kind of sad is that the show producers keep saying that “stuff is going to happen” but I gave up over a year ago, so it’s too little too late. The second half of the third season (which is when all the stuff is supposed to start happening) should have been the first half of the SECOND season. “Dead Like Me” is a classic… why couldn’t THAT have been given a third season? It was actually going somewhere!
Frances… Well, I’ve skipped over a year now, so it’s too late for me… but, for your sake, I hope everything gets wrapped up before they’re cancelled! That would suck to invest THREE YEARS in a show and have nothing to show for it. 🙁
Watchdog… Totally loved “Hellboy!” Loved it! That’s another film where you have to accept that it’s about a big red demon guy and not expect it to be something it isn’t. Excellent analogy, thanks!
TSM… TequilaCon is THE blogger event of the season! In Portland, Oregon on March 10th will be home to a fabulous blogger meet-up with many cool bloggers (and me). You can read about it at Jenny’s blog. Medium is a good show that I watch often, but I sure get tired of everybody doubting her EVERY episode when she always ends up being right EVERY episode!
Gary… So true. It is probably in my Top-10 Action Flick list, or darn close. Samuel L. Jackson and a kick-ass Geena Davis? Sign me up!
Ms. Sizzle… Sugar is one of the things I miss when I am fasting, so I can understand that. 🙂
David… CHARLIE MUST DIE!! I’d tune in for that! Even if they can’t make a “Dead Like Me” Season 3… they should at least make a movie to wrap up everything.
What I love about these articles about Lost’s drop in ratings this week is how they keep glossing over the fact that ALL shows on Wednesday night slipped due to the fact it was Valentine’s Day (though I happily spent my V-Day, in fact, watching LOST). I also love how people who don’t watch the show and haven’t watched the show do such a great job of trashing it. (not meaning you specifically Dave, just a lot of people in general)
Instead of claiming those of us who watch Lost loyally are “stupid”, I prefer to think some of us like a show that doesn’t spoon-feed a solution of every week’s hour in a cute little package with a pretty ribbon on top.
If the show gets cancelled and I have no answers, I will certainly be pissed, but I will always applaud its creators for taking risks no other tv show has dared to take (it was also suspected the last episode’s very bizarre flashback sequence alone would alienate a number of viewers–again, applause for taking risks and, for being a show where the writers are accused of “having no creativity”, continuing to try new ways of filming and storytelling)
Yup, only an hour away….but, I figured I’d splurge and stay up there for the night, because who knows how late we’ll all be out, and if we’ll all meet up in the morning for food, etc.
Plus, you’re plying me w/ drinks, right? 🙂
Maybe not a good idea to brave the roads home.
And I thought I was the only comic book owning/Betty White/dvd lover in the entire NW that doesn’t drink/like coffee products. Whew.
Go Lake Placid!!
I’m looking forward to “Ghost Rider,” even though it didn’t look all that great months ago when they started coverage of it. I’ve seen a few clips now and they look good. I, too, am a big geek when it comes to comic book movies. There seem to be so few of them that are actually any good. “Hellboy” rocked, yeah. Great job on the “Spider-Man” movies. Loved “Batman Begins.” But wow, did I hate the “Fantastic Four” last year. Ugh. Can’t believe they’ve got a sequel coming out soon.
Betty White is so awesome.
She’s friggin hilarious!
Lost… I don’t like Lost ! Okaaaay !
Best breakfast ever… I want to taste this breakfast !!! Right now ! 🙂
Spirit of Vengeance… I don’t know the american bill. But when I saw the french bill with Nicolas Cage with HAIR, I laughed… The french bill makes me laugh… 😀
But your cartoon is beautiful !!! I love it !
Six Meme… 1, 2, 4, 5 : I am agree with you !!! Am I weird too ?
Diane… The ratings drop is a downward trend, it wasn’t just Valentine’s Day. And I in no way called people who watch the show stupid. I called the writers lazy and stupid for not keeping the show interesting so more people will want to watch it. It’s not a matter of being spoon-fed a solution… it’s a matter of recycling the same stuff over and over again instead of coming up with something new. I’ve watched the show twice since I stopped watching season 2, episode 2, and not much had changed. All it seems is that the original story has been dropped to focus on a new group of characters. This is taking risks? No. Taking risks is wrapping up things in a cool way then heading onward to something even more imaginative and interesting. It may very well be true that the writers have decided to stop sticking with the status quo and finally do something… but it’s taken them three years to get to it. And when you read interviews with the creators/producers, it would seem that it is all the heavy criticism and lost ratings which is finally making them get off their asses and give viewers some answers. So I’ll just say “you’re welcome” now. 🙂
Adena… I have no idea what’s going to happen, but I’m SIX hours away, so I pretty much have to stay. 🙂
Michelle… When I go to Seattle I’ll order a hot chocolate, pretend it’s coffee, then try to blend in. 🙂
Karl… I’m not a fan of Fantastic Four or X-Men, but am hopeful that the second FF film with Silver Surfer will be better.
Christie… I totally agree. I worry about seeing her less and less now-a-days. 🙁
Laurence… Yes, Nic Cage is wearing hair, which is kind of funny, but it fits his character. 🙂
I thought I was the only sane person that thought LOST was lame. I still watch it religiously though. I think I keep hoping it will get better.
I like bullet Sunday.
Maybe I’m a mindless lemming, I’ll admit. Or maybe it’s that we only get two channels, CBS & ABC so my choices are limited. I don’t know, but I’m still watching Lost. Hey maybe that’s it. I didn’t even realize they were supposed to resolve things on shows. WOOAAAAHHH! Now that would be crazy! 🙂
On a side note. Haven’t been bitten by the Meme bug yet, and no I’m not in a cave. Atleast I don’t think I am. HellOOO? -oooo? oo? oo?
I was pretty pleased with Ghost Rider, primarily because I didn’t get my hopes up. I saw that it was directed by the same guy who did Daredevil and expected something similar. I got a little bit more than what I expected.
Would you consider me spoiled if I said I was expecting a hand written invitation to TequilaCon.
And, perhaps, a plane ticket?
You should just buy the Trek episodes on DVD. I got all of the seasons for my wife for Christmas in really cool packaging, and they have tons of stuff on them.
Ghost Rider was the best comedy all year. I laughed my ass off throughout it, even at the unintentionally funny parts. It was definitely cheesy fun, although some of the lines were so filled with gravitas that it was ridiculous.
August… You may get your wish. According to the interviews with the show-runners I’ve read, it seems they are finally getting the message and going to start actually doing stuff.
Jonny… Memes are actually kind of fun from time to time. I just don’t want them taking over my blog!
Joefish… And there’s another great comic book movie… I loved Daredevil. It is probably one of the more faithful comic adaptations out there and, believe it or not, I thought Ben Affleck did a great job with the material.
Miss Britt… I would gladly create for you a hand-written invitation with directions and a plane ticket… if you would give me the money to buy the plane ticket! 🙂
Avitable… YOU CAN BUY THE RE-MASTERED EPISODES ON DVD?!? Because all I am finding is the original shows, which I bought a long time ago when they were in the 2-episode boxes. I want the HD re-masters with the new special effects! And yes, Ghost Rider was funny. It’s hard not to laugh at a flaming skeleton riding a motorcycle!
Although I usually love love love cheesy popcorn flicks and love love love anythign based on a comic rabid dogs will have to drag me to see Ghost Rider as my overwhleming (and completely unexplainable) hatred of Nick Cage will just send me into a grump. WTC destroyed him for me… in much the same way teh Oscars killed Tom Hanks for me…
Yeah, Lost has totally pissed me off. Is it really that freakin’ hard to explain something? Anything? I’m tired of all these damn charachter backstories.
And what was on that particular edition of the Daily Show?
As horribly upset as my sister would be if they cancelled Lost… maybe we’d finally get some actual answers!
I didn’t tag you with it because you know where I live and I don’t want to die. Not with a new plasma TV and all.
Well, I’ve only watched the first season of Lost, and it sounds like I can enjoy the 2nd, but forget about the 3rd?
I think not liking coffee might be unamerican…
The horror of it all!
I’m a big JJ Abrams fan but I avoided Lost after the third season of Alias went down the tubes. That’s looking like a smart decision now. I got sucked into Heroes because it’s on before Studio 60. Who new a bad superhero show would be good. They do need to pick up the pace. Battlestar Galactica is battling the same Season 3 slump.
Bec… I’m indifferent to Nic Cage, but thought he did a good job in Ghost Rider. 🙂
The Chad… I didn’t mind the back-stories when they were contributing to the story… but they started repeating information and giving us senseless information which rendered the flashbacks annoying. Apparently now the buzz is that characters will be able to go back into their flashbacks in time travel or something. People keep emailing me about it.
Bre… Uhhh… if they canceled the show, you wouldn’t have ANY answers! 🙂
Kapgar… Now that I know you have a plasma television, I think your life is actually in MORE danger, specifically because I know where you live! I am not above stealing a television…
Jodi… Well, I thought season 2 was a complete waste. Apparently now half-way through season 3 there will finally be answers. I have no idea, as I gave up quite a while ago.
Stephanie… Yes. I’ve heard that too. This attitude is especially harsh in the Pacific Northwest (specifically Seattle)… which is why I pretend my hot cocoa is coffee so I don’t get attacked.
Yellojkt… I think Battlestar is still doing really well. Now THAT’S a show that knows how to shake things up and keep things exciting!
Wow, people are interested in you or they are really interested in mayo Dave2. It’s funny, I was just thinking about mayo this morning. I only really enjoy it on a RBLT (real bacon, lettuce, tomato). Otherwise, it kinda sickens me but I used to share your love for the condiment. I hope all goes well with your homemade Miracle Whip.