Time for your bullet-proof vest... SUNDAY IS HERE!!
• Cars! I never managed to catch Pixar's latest film Cars while it was in the theater. Now that I see how beautiful it is on DVD, I'm really regretting it. Because, while I had a hard time buying into a world populated entirely by automobiles, it was just so amazing to look at that I didn't care. Every detail was painstakingly represented and, if you've ever seen a NASCAR race, the track action was superb. The icing on the cake was the top-notch voice acting by Owen Wilson, who convincingly conveys a surprising emotional range as race car "Lightning McQueen"...
Awww... cute! It's an adorable talking race car!
I still don't think that the Pixar cars are as clever as the Aardmann cars for those Chevron commercials (is it just me, or do the Pixar cars all look cross-eyed?)... but this film does have the benefit of being the only funny thing I have ever seen "Larry The Cable Guy" associated with. It's no Toy Story or Monster's Inc. but still a lot of fun (unlike John Tucker Must Die, which was a boatload of crap and one of the worst movies I've seen in recent memory).
• Stats! Last month my "unique visitor counts had dropped for the first time in years. Now they've jumped by 36,000 for late October/early November... I guess people just love a monkey eating urinal cakes.
• The Office! For a while there I was getting really tired of Steve Carell's constant idiocy in the Americanized version of The Office but, after seeing his brilliant performance in Little Miss Sunshine, I decided to start watching again. Now I'm like a teenage girl, because I find myself saying things like "OMG! Isn't Jim and Pam going to be like the cutest couple ever?!" And who thought I would ever feel sorry for Roy? Oh well... I am so totally in love with Jenna Fischer now! She was great on Letterman, and looked brutally hot compared to her frumpy character on the show.
Now I'm mad that I stopped watching! They sell episodes at the iTunes Music Store, so I'm going to have to shell out some coin and get caught up.
Awww... cute! It's an adorable talking girl!
• Lost! And on the other end of the television spectrum... I've been complaining for months about what a suck-fest Lost has become after that brilliant first season. Unlike excellent shows like Veronica Mars which wrap shit up and move on to something better... Lost just lingers on, never providing a payoff. Now I notice that more and more people are feeling the same way, including this article at New York Magazine. I don't know if it is the writers, producers, or network that are insisting on being so frakkin' stupid, but if things keep going like this the show will be cancelled before they ever bother to answer anything. What a waste of time. But that seems to be typical for television lately.
• Veteran's Day! It was my intention yesterday to write a Veteran's Day entry but, given the drama of my dying PowerBook, I didn't get around to it. Even so, there's never a wrong time to be grateful to those who have served...
Bad Monkey's new best friend: Buddy Poppy
• Sucks Less! Several people have brought to my attention that Sucks Less with Kevin Smith is now being streamed via Flash for Mac users. You can check it out right here. The Smith intros are pretty funny, though some of the actual clips in the show are kind of lame. Something that is NOT lame is Clerks 2 which is finally dropping on DVD in a mere 16 days. Time to start watching all of my Kevin Smith DVDs so I am ready to go.
And on that note, I'm off to work. Monday deadlines blow.
I love comments! However, all comments are moderated, and won't appear until approved. Are you an abusive troll with nothing to contribute? Don't bother. Selling something? Don't bother. Spam linking? Don't bother.
Thanks for reminding me to get out of my whiny, Christian-Bale-obsessed head and recognize Veteran’s Day, Dave. 🙂
As for LOST…the diest hardest fan though I was, this past week pissed me off, and I never really spoke about it again. The fact that we have to wait until February for new epis is just about the shittiest move a tv show could make. A pox on the producers, because my friend Heather and I moaned and groaned and cursed ourselves the most because I KNOW we will be STILL be tuning in to see what happens next. Things are getting so weird and convoluted, but until I know whether Ben or Juliette or both are truly evil, I can’t stop…
I’m feeling the same way about Lost. That last episode pissed me off. Something interesting better happen soon, and I dont mean letting that asshole on the operating table die.
And Little Miss Sunshine, that was quite the interesting movie. But, Steve Carell was awesome.
I’m wondering if maybe the Lost writers don’t know the answers either and never plan on providing them.
Love Cars. My 4yr old watches it 4 to 7 times a week, and of course I’m watching some of it here and there and keep seeing more of it. The movie gets me laughing out loud, puts a lump in my throat, and has me listening to everything everyone says. And The Office rocks too.
I am repeatedly told that I look Jenna Fischer, but people always say ‘not in real life, but on the Office.’ So I look like “her frumpy character on the show.”
Except, I really do look like the frumpy character. Maybe I need to accessorize more.
Diane… I admit to having the curiosity keep me watching, but then I realized we may NEVER get answers and was able to break the habit. 🙂
The Chad… I keep hoping they ALL die. I might actually start watching then!
Nicole… That would be truly sad, because any of a hundred comic book writers could easily figure out a dozen different ways of wrapping up current crap and opening up the door to even cooler mysteries. 😛
Wayne… Cars doesn’t affect me quite the way that other Pixar toons do because it’s kind of hard to get into that “world” they have… but I still enjoyed it immensely!
Arwen… Make no mistake… even with frumpy and unsure of herself as Pam, Jenna Fischer is totally hot. 🙂
It is soooo all about Jim and Pam right now. I am counting down til Thursday!
And who could have guessed that their relationship would end up being the most interesting thing on the show? I think we’ve all been there… 🙂
Cars… Géant !
Stats… Oh, it’s not only urinal cakes…
The office… The late show is not diffused any more in France and I strongly regret it ! 🙁
Lost… I missed the first season of “lost” and since I did not watch one episode any more.
Veteran’s day… Lovely cartoon !!! 🙂
Sucks less… Very funny. I thought that I wouldn’t understand… But I understood. This Kevin Smith is very funny!
your words are a ray of sunshine: monday deadlines completely blow.
Yeah, when I watched ‘Cars’ I was surprised when I learned the Larry the Cable Guy was involved. I said, “Damn. He was funny. I hope that doesn’t mean I’m becoming a redneck.”
Thankfully, I’ve seen him in other stuff since and I did not laugh at all.
I deleted ‘Lost’ from my recording list. I did it after this weeks episode. I’m sure I’ll be tempted in February, but I do believe it’s truly over. I love him as a character, but I wanted them to kill Sawyer just so something would happen.
I love The Office. I cannot wait to see what happens when Jim comes back and brings that crappy other girl with him. Also, Jenna Fischer has a Myspace and is really funny on it. She’s the reason I found Fred Armisen.
Omar: Does he really have a monkey?!
Re: Your Stats…Hm!
Thanks for the Kevin Smith link. That stuff was great.
Have yet to see Cars. I’m a Pixar fan from the day I saw their very first short long, long ago, but became pretty disillusioned after Finding Nemo (which I disliked a LOT). Monsters, Inc., was their pinnacle for me. After that the “magic” was gone and it just became another money machine.
I think the cars would have been more interesting animated with eyes in place of the headlights as per intuitiveness. I would have done that and made the windshield/windows smoked glass. But that’s just me. The cars don’t have any “depth” for me – so I’ve never seen it.
Enjoyed the article on Lost and similar shows (though I never watch them). I would say they don’t write them this way because: (a) they can’t or won’t dare think “outside the box” with anything; and/or (b) why should they bother? they’ll rake in a TON of $$$ anyway, so who cares? I doubt if they’ve ever bet on the intelligence of their viewing audience – and that begs the question of whether or not they need to with 80% of said audience (who will watch anyway). Bottom line: it’s probably cheaper/easier to just crank out the same and let it die and wait for the next hit to come down the tube. People will keep watching for awhile until they get REALLY bored…
I so seriously work at “The Office”. I don’t know Jim’s real name but I think he’s cute. I could work with him. I’d kill Michael.
Oh, but I’m getting out! That’s right…in two weeks!
Lost has me…lost…and freaked me out a few weeks ago so I’m done. It’s too over the top. My husband is addicted.
Cars was more entertaining than I expected but I have to agree it is no Monsters Inc. I was surprised at how much I liked the performance of Owen Wilson.
As for Lost I am a sucker for punishment as I continue to watch but I still want them to explain the “Monsters” from the first season…probably never happen but I am still waiting.
I caught Cars this weekend too. Brilliant!
as a new fan of lost (i just recently watched both season one and two over the summer), i am thinking the way to go is to wait for dvd so you can just watch them all at once. this whole drawn out business is torture and frankly, i am not all that wrapped up in it now that i watch it every wednesday.
but the office? love it every time!
HOW can you ever tire of The Office?!?!
I’m so disillusioned. First cartoons on my blog – and now this. *sigh*
I suppose you DID come back around…
I’m a sucker for anything relating to Jim from the office… he’s just so darn cute.. and wounded…. he needs me.
I really like “The Office” a lot, but having previously seen the British version on BBC America — it is a bit of a pale imitation.
Jenna Fischer is a gen-u-ine corn-fed Indiana girl! (I wish more Indiana girls were less corn-fed) Cars was supposed to be shown on my flight back from London, but no dice. I agree, Aardman rules! I am totally hooked on Creature Comforts
CARS! I adore, adore, adore that movie! Saw it nine times in the theaters (almost always by myself, which made it even better). Used up plenty of gas in my Jeep and money from my pocket, but it was worth it.
“Cars” really appealed to me so much because it’s as if Pixar took such a big part of my childhood and made a movie about it. I always had Hot Wheels and Matchbox cars and I played with them just like the movie protrayed autos. My cars all had names, genders, personalities, their own unique lives. I even pictured their eyes on the windshield.
Plus, I just love cars with minds of their own.
Actually, I believe it was “Cars” that first exposed me to Blogography. I was trying to find images from the movie when a picture from Blogography popped up. I clicked it and you were blogging about how Pixar was pushing back the release date from November ’05 to June of ’06. After reading that (and becoming very ticked off/annoyed at Pixar), I decided to check out your ‘Best of’ section. And from there I got hooked on Blogography.