It's another Bullet Sunday, but I'm shooting blanks.
• SNOW! Shortly after waking up, I was in bed checking my email and heard somebody outside stomping their feet. This could mean only one thing... the day I have been dreading has finally arrived. Our first snow. I am not a fan of the snow, and never have been. Even when I was a kid. It's cold, it's wet, and it's no fun if you don't ski or snowmobile. And did I mention that it's cold? A quick look out my back window verifies that six inches have fallen overnight and it's still coming down...
The horsies must not mind the snow, because they seem perfectly happy to be standing outside in it.
• DEPOT! Despite the crappy weather, I was needing some ink for my printer so I drove to Wenatchee over hazardously icy roads to get some. When I arrived, there were three employees but no customers which should mean that the service would be excellent. But the entire time I was in the store trying to find the correct ink cartridge, not ONE of the three asked if I needed any help. They were too busy talking about how slow business was. After five minutes at the ink counter followed by another five minutes in the paper section, I didn't find anything I was looking for and left. Customer service is dead.
• WARE! The incredible Chris Ware (whose Chicago exhibit I visited with Jenny and Gary) had created four amazing Thanksgiving covers for The New Yorker this past month. Fortunately, the magazine has graciously posted them online (with enlargements) so anybody can see them. It's well worth checking out...
• MADONNA! While working yesterday, I had Madonna's "The Confessions Tour" concert running in the background off my TiVo. I was not impressed. Madge seems to have forsaken the music in favor of being an over-indulgent, annoying, foul-mouthed bitch. She's come a long way since her "Who's That Girl" and "Blond Ambition" tours... and not in a good way. Kind of a pity, because I actually liked the album.
• CUPID! Today I decided to have something I know I would enjoy playing in the background while I worked... the best show ever to air on television: Jeremy Piven's Cupid. The complete series is being seeded on BitTorrent, and so I grabbed it. The quality is crap, but the show is absolute genius. This is probably my twentieth time watching all fourteen eps they made, and my love of the series has not diminished (I'm not an overly-emotional kind of guy, but when I get to the end of the "Heart of the Matter" episode I get a lump in my throat every time). I remain infuriated that it has not been given a DVD release, and am still fuming that ABC cancelled it seven years ago. Dumbasses. How hard would it have been to give it a decent time slot and let it find an audience? Of course, after they did the same thing to Sports Night, you have to wonder if that's something they are even capable of.
• SLEEP! Ah, I almost forgot... there's a new all-natural sleep aid on the market called "Midnite." I've heard it doesn't work for everybody, but it sure does a great job for me. I've been consistently falling asleep in about 15-20 minutes after chewing a tablet. The beauty of it is that it only stays in your system for three hours, so you can take it in the middle of the night if you wake up. Of course, if somebody likes to slam doors in your apartment complex and you don't have the three hours, there's unfortunately nothing Midnite can do for you.
And just like that, Sunday is over.
I love comments! However, all comments are moderated, and won't appear until approved. Are you an abusive troll with nothing to contribute? Don't bother. Selling something? Don't bother. Spam linking? Don't bother.
I love snow. I miss snow. I hope it snows in Portland this year. I love watching the idiots that think they can drive in it (especially the people that think 4wd can do anything, even stop).
As I was driving through town on my way to Wenatchee, some guy on a side-street came up to a stop sign… and didn’t. He slid right out in front of me, and I had to swerve around him to avoid crashing. Just another dumbass driving as if there’s not a load of snow and compact ice on the road…
I’ve become an ultra cautious driver after watching a series of idiots do things over the past few months that were this close to taking them through the Great Checkout Line of Life…
I am anxious to try out the best set of tires I’ve ever bought for our car on snow this year, but am ok if we don’t really have to.
We have a storm coming in tomorrow and Tuesday and am planning on doing a bunch of errands early so we can hunker down for a few days and wait for the plows (and idiot drivers) to pass.
You should go and build a snow horsey to keep the real horsies company! I love snow, but I rarely drive in it cos I know my limits. Last year we made a snow kitty (to keep my kitty company of course), and he had spagetti whiskers and olive eyes! For the sake of this comment, lets pretend I’m about 12, ok?
Ugh…I’m with you on the snow. Fortunately we haven’t had much this year, and it’s been unusually warm which has been good since our furnace quit on Thanksgiving day… rumor has it we are getting a new one today.
Thanks for the rec on Midnite… if I take other over the counter sleep aids it usually takes a good 4 hours for it to kick in. Kind of defeats the purpose.
Wow. It snowed! (I love the snow – to play in, not drive in, so I won’t gush)
Fantastic New Yorker front. It makes me thankful.
I missed the Madge reference.
Did you take that photo with your new Mac? 😉
Snow… not something I look forward to each year. We’ve not gotten our first yet, but it’s coming this week. I don’t mind the snow when I don’t have to drive in it or if I can stay indoors. And I don’t mind a sledding trip or two during the winter to have a little fun. It just gets old after a couple of weeks with it hanging around on the streets.
As for customer service, I agree with you.. it’s gone. But then the shocker… Black Friday…. you would think it gets worse. The 3 stores I visited all had tons of employees offering to put me in a shorter line, asking what I was looking for and smiling and being kind the whole time. Maybe they just wanted me to the get the hell out of their store.
You didn’t like the Confessions tour? I was watching it, too, and I was impressed. Madonna is in amazing shape, and she seemed to put on a decent show. I was watching it on NBCHD or one of those, and only saw the last hour, so I must have missed the part that turned you off.
I am glad you were able to find a sleep aid that helped!! As a long time sufferer of …irregular sleep, I know the pain. My doc put me on Ambien once, and I had horrible stomachaches and headaches as a result. I usually just pop a Benedryl if I’m desperate, but it will leave me groggy if I take it at say, 3am. This sounds like a good solution! (or I could start getting better about exercising, but, eh, and meh…)
I am so glad it doesn’t snow here.
I’m with you on hating the stuff, Dave. If I never, ever have to leave the water running all night so the pipes don’t freeze, it’ll be just fine with me.
Hope you’re keeping warm!
It snowed here this morning, too….It was melting, but I just glanced out the window, and it’s snowing again. Hmm…
I have errands to do today, but Oregonians are complete morons when it comes to driving in the snow, and the thought of dealing w/ them scares me.
(I know, I know…I’m an Oregonian…but, I lived in Colorado for 2 years, so I am used to driving in snow.)
Looking at that New Yorker cover made me very proud that I went through the trouble of buying new table linens – table cloth, runner, placemats and cloth napkins with napkin rings – for Thanksgiving.
Man it doesn’t take much to make me smug anymore.
as someone who did a 2 year stint in pullman, wa, i sure don’t miss the sight of fields of snow covered wheat. this is the time of year that i gloat over my palouse-imprisoned friends, especially when they send me videos of it snowing around mt. spokane.
it’s 70 and lovely here.
the florida librarian
Snow is yucky. So is Madonna. Someone needs to tell her it’s not ok to leave the house in a leotard, much less wear one on national TV.
And lots of Exclamation Points!!!
I so don’t miss the snow. Although being heavily preggers in sweltering summer heat sucks (and it’s not officially summer yet), and it’s still weird to trim the Christmas tree while wearing shorts and a tank top.
Madonna may have staying power by reinventing herself every few years, but I’m really over her and her shenanigans.
Snow… Brrrrrr !!! I’m cold now !!!
Depot… It’s strange because our society is a customer society.
Ware… Love the covers of New Yorker !!!
Madonna… I’m agree with you. I like the album but don’t like the concert (like all concerts of Madonna)
Cupid… OK! I sum up : Veronica Mars, How I meet your mother… And now, Cupid !!! (I love the actor : Jeremy Piven.)
Sleep… Oh, Midnite could be helpful to me too !!!
Sports Night! I miss that show too!!
Madonna in a leotard–giggle . . . sorry, that’s not nice.
Cupid on BitTorrent? Oooh, I hope it’s still being seeded. Though knowing my luck, probably not anymore.
I like your backyard view. I wish I had a view of grazing horses. And I love snow but we’re getting none! Boo!!!
Way too warm here for Thanksgiving season. 60 in Chicago. That’s just obscene.
as a newbie to living in snow, i am still in awe of it. i’m like a kid, so excited to see white covering the ground. please don’t hate me. 🙂
customer service IS dead. i agree!
Don’t worry, RW, the winter temperatures are coming–high of 30 on Thursday! (boo)
I’m ungodly jealous of the snow. It’s in the 60s here in November and I’m craving lots of it 🙁
I came back to disagree about customer service. Atleast I can report that it’s alive and kicking in these parts….It’s a mixed bag, whether I’m at the office supply store or in one of my fav restaurants, I’ve received the worst and the best….Thankfully the food is consistant.
Diane – yeah I heard that, but as a native Chicagoan I get the heebie-jeebies if my jeebies aren’t a little iced by Thanksgiving. Besides which I’ll be in Florida when the 30’s hit.
Save it for me willya?
Kapha… The idiot drivers here never pass… they’re eternal… like fruitbread.
Serap… Given that I have the mental age of a 5-year old, making believe you are 12 is not difficult to do. 🙂
JTM… Other sleep aids just make me continuously tired, but don’t actually help me sleep. Midnite is entirely different, and I don’t know why it works so well on me.
Nancycle… No, that’s from my camera. I don’t know that my Mac’s built-in camera is good for anything but close-range material?? I haven’t really tried it.
ChillyWilly… Either that or they’ve decided to be nice and helpful because it’s getting close to Christmas and they know that Santa is watching them?
Avitable… No, I pretty much didn’t care for any of it. It just didn’t seem to be about the music to me.
Diane… Other people I know who have tried Midnite said that it did absolutely nothing for them. I guess I’m lucky?
Peggy… The glow of my MacBook and all these nice comments are all I need to stay warm. 🙂
Adena… I think it’s the same for Seattle too. People just aren’t used to driving in the snow, and so they become complete morons any time they have to. Sad, really.
Miss Britt… I wouldn’t call that smug… that’s pride in a Thanksgiving table well-done! 🙂
T.L. … Gee, everybody is in Florida now! You and Avitable live there, and now the Mistress of Metal herself, Empress Eve, is there on vacation! I am so totally missing out. 🙁
Frances… You have to admit though… she’s got quite a bod for a 50-year-old though!
Mooslet… That just seems… wrong… somehow. Christmas in the summer? Are you SURE you want to immigrate?? 🙂
Laurence… Unfortunately, Cupid was cancelled seven years ago, so it’s not an easy show to find. I don’t know if it ever made it to France?
Lela… Everybody missed Sports Night! Kind of makes me wish I had the time to watch my DVDs again. 🙁
Firda… Yeah, get it now before ABC Columbia/TriStar gets legal to take it down! Never mind that they won’t release it on DVD and people HAVE to resort to BitTorrent to see it, they apparently don’t want ANYBODY to see how great a show it is.
RW… I hope it stays 60 in Chicago for another two weeks. Once I’m gone, the weather can do whatever it likes!
Ms. Sizzle… Though I bet you are thinking differently today! The news shows you guys being in pretty bad shape over there. Stay safe! Stay warm!
Diane… Boo indeed! I was looking forward to a change!
Bre… I’d be happy to be rid of the snow this year, but if that were to happen we’d lose our snow-pack and have serious drought next year. 🙁
Nancycle… I rarely, if ever, seem to get good service anymore. Sad.
RW… And now RW is going to Florida too? Is EVERYBODY going but me? =sob!=
AHHH the snow is still coming. We have a chartered bus stuck in our front yard right now – and every few minutes a car decides to go around it and then slams into it. Much more entertaining than Madonna. She was reminding me of the scene in Serial Mom, with the band: The Cameltoes.
Anyway its supposed to clear up here in a few days – so you should be safe to fly, if you can get over the pass.
About the camera ~ I was pulling your chain.
Re: good service, maybe it’s there, you just have to look for it…They say whatever you focus on will grow!
I recognized the artwork as soon as I saw it!
Bleh. I prefer people not bug me while I’m shopping. I’ll come get someone if I need help.
Now, if when I try to find someone, I _can’t_, or if they act all bothered, then I would state customer service is dead.
so, i finally got the cupid torrent downloaded and with no cable at the new place yet, a moment to watch a few episodes. i’m a little peturbed that someone is following me around and making my life into a character on a tv show.
seriously, this thing is great. i’m on ep 4. and almost loving it as much as i’m loving the new serious “dexter.” if you haven’t seen, go now, download torrents, do showtime on demand, whatever you can to watch this show. truly gorgeous stuff.