So I had the brilliant idea of making tacos for dinner tonight.
All the fixin's had been unloaded from the refrigerator. The rice was cooking in the microwave. The cheese and lettuce were grated. All I had to do was fry the taco shells and I was golden. So I fire up the burner and wait for the oil to heat up.
Then I made the mistake of turning on the range hood ventilation.
Something lurched in the fan and came loose. Which caused the vent screen to fall...
...into the hot oil.
Which splashed everywhere.
Including the burner where I had water boiling for potatoes.
Before I knew it, the range-top was engulfed in flames.
I immediately grabbed the box of Arm & Hammer from the refrigerator and doused the fire.
But the damage was done. Smoke was everywhere. Smoke detectors were screaming. Soot coated the entire vicinity of the stove. It smelled like the entire kitchen had burned down.
And so my evening was spent not eating delicious tacos... but airing out every room and scrubbing oil smoke from the kitchen walls.