Wah. I have a headache. And on Bullet Sunday too.
• Arbitrary. There is right and there is wrong and there is that murky gray area in-between. And yet, it is all a matter of perspective. Where lines are drawn and on which side things are placed is entirely dependent upon the person in question. And that's okay. I understand that, I accept that. But when people define their lines in one breath... then move them to suit their situation in the next... I call bullshit. Moral high ground affords a terrific view, but it's lonely up there when nobody will stand by your hypocritical ass.
• Clarification. No, that wasn't about you.
• Foggy. There's a lot of fog out tonight. I do not like fog...
• Sullified. Thanks to Dan, I now have Sully both at home and at work. My new Sully is very cool because he comes with his own Mike Wazowski...
• Experienced. Memes, once the backbones of most every blog on the internet, have been dying a slow death. I did a grand total of six last year, and half of those were in the first quarter. But every once in a while they pop up, so I thought I'd jump on the "Have You Experienced..." meme which I first saw at Badger Meets World, then again at Anyhoo... As always, to spare the meme-haters out there, I've dropped it in an extended entry.
Now back to a very busy week, already in progress...
- ✔ Started your own blog. Well that's kind of a silly question, isn't it?
- ✔ Slept under the stars. While camping. Which is about the only part of camping I don't hate.
- ✔ Played in a band. I played Clarinet and Saxophone in school band.
- ✔ Visited Hawaii. Many times. I love the place.
- ✔ Watched a meteor shower. I used to be an astronomy lover and actually sought them out.
- ✔ Been to Disneyland/World. Both. Many, many times.
- ✔ Climbed a mountain. And didn't enjoy it.
- ✔ Held a praying mantis. His name was Jake. These are one of the creepiest bugs ever.
- ✔ Sang a solo. While singing karaoke, which I suppose is the point.
- ✔ Bungee jumped. Was more thrilling than parasailing, but less thrilling than skydiving.
- ✔ Visited Paris. And love it.
- ✔ Watched a lightning storm at sea. Though I watched it from shore in Maui.
- ✔ Taught yourself an art from scratch. I'm self-taught in most things, actually.
- Adopted a child. Seriously... who would let me adopt a child?
- ✔ Had food poisoning. A few times. The most memorable time gave me diarrhea and had me puking for three days straight.
- ✔ Walked to the top of the Statue of Liberty. Twice. Though it's more of a climb than a walk.
- ✔ Grown your own vegetables. My family had a garden when I was young.
- ✔ Seen the Mona Lisa in France. As opposed to the Mona Lisa in Tijuana?
- ✔ Slept on an overnight train. I was told that this was an awesome idea because it's cheaper than a hotel and you don't waste time traveling in daylight hours. I was absolutely miserable, and have never done it again. Unless I can afford a private sleeper car, I probably won't ever do it again.
- ✔ Had a pillow fight. She started it.
- ✔ Hitchhiked. After I rolled my motorcycle into some gravel, I couldn't ride it back to my friend's house, so I had to bum a ride back from a sympathetic stranger I flagged down.
- ✔ Taken a sick day when you're not ill. We're allowed to take sick days to tend to ill family members, get dental check-ups, and the like. Good thing, because I rarely take sick days for being ill otherwise. It's been years since my last one.
- ✔ Built a snow fort.When I was young, this was a common activity because we would get three to four feet of snow. Global warming kind of fucked that up.
- ✔ Held a lamb. And did a bad job of it because I was trying to be too gentle. Hey, it was a lamb.
- ✔ Gone skinny dipping. The best place is the ocean while in Maui at sunset.
- Run a Marathon. Not even if you paid me. Well, maybe if you paid me a lot.
- Ridden in a gondola in Venice. It was raining when I had the opportunity, so I passed on it.
- ✔ Seen a total eclipse. It was a big deal when I was in middle school.
- ✔ Watched a sunrise or sunset. Best sunsets are in Hawaii or Bali. Best sunrise is on top of Mt. Haleakala in Maui. Here's why.
- Hit a home run. You're talking baseball, right?
- ✔ Been on a cruise.I don't particularly enjoy them, but some areas of the world are best seen while cruising.
- ✔ Seen Niagara Falls in person. From both the US and Canada sides.
- ✔ Visited the birthplace of your ancestors. On both sides of the family... pretty much England, Germany, and The Netherlands.
- ✔ Seen an Amish community. I drove through Lancaster in Pennsylvania.
- ✔ Taught yourself a new language. Several. The fact I haven't retained them is a real bummer for me.
- ✔ Had enough money to be truly satisfied. Unfortunately, it never lasts very long.
- ✔ Seen the Leaning Tower of Pisa in person. But didn't get one of those cheesy photos where it looks like I'm holding it up. Go figure.
- ✔ Gone rock climbing And was terrified out of my mind.
- ✔ Seen Michelangelo's David. And it was as amazing as I always dreamed it would be.
- ✔ Sung karaoke. It's mandatory in Japan. Though my infamous karaoke accident was in Stockholm.
- Seen Old Faithful geyser erupt. Believe it or not, I have never been to Yellowstone.
- ✔ Bought a stranger a meal in a restaurant. I bought it at a restaurant and got it "to go" so I could give it to him.
- ✔ Visited Africa. Egypt counts, right?
- ✔ Walked on a beach by moonlight. Many, many times. I love the beach and would live there if I could afford it.
- ✔ Been transported in an ambulance. But not because of an injury. It was at a parade.
- ✔ Had your portrait painted. But fully clothed.
- ✔ Gone deep sea fishing. Though I didn't actually fish.
- ✔ Seen the Sistine Chapel in person. And, yes, it's as amazing as I was led to believe.
- ✔ Been to the top of the Eiffel Tower in Paris. Well, not the VERY top, but as high as you can go as a tourist.
- ✔ Gone scuba diving or snorkeling. Both. I'm a certified PADI diver, but haven't actually been diving in years.
- ✔ Kissed in the rain. And, sadly, lived to regret it.
- ✔ Played in the mud. Both intentionally and unintentionally.
- ✔ Gone to a drive-in theater. Quite a few times as a youngster.
- ✔ Been in a movie. It was a home movie, but yes.
- ✔ Visited the Great Wall of China. A dream come true.
- ✔ Started a business. Two of them, actually.
- ✔ Taken a martial arts class. But it wasn't karate or anything cool.
- Visited Russia. But heaven only knows I want to. Badly.
- Served at a soup kitchen. Not that I wouldn't if the opportunity presented itself. I would be honored.
- ✔ Sold Girl Scout Cookies. Since I can never be a Girl Scout, I am totally counting the time I took a co-worker's daughter's sign-up sheet around to my other co-workers.
- ✔ Gone whale watching. Whales love Maui.
- ✔ Gotten flowers for no reason. Though, in retrospect, I think it was probably a mistake.
- ✔ Donated blood, platelets, or plasma. Just once. I can't do it anymore thanks to the fucked up state of my health. Note to self: No more drug trials.
- ✔ Gone sky diving. Which I find surprisingly relaxing, despite my fear of heights.
- ✔ Visited a Nazi Concentration Camp. Sadly, The Warsaw Ghetto could be considered one giant concentration camp when the Nazis occupied Poland in WWII.
- ✔ Bounced a check. But only because my direct deposit failed.
- ✔ Flown in a helicopter. As a tourist in Maui, Kauai, San Francisco, and The Grand Canyon.
- ✔ Saved a favorite childhood toy. I still have some of my cherished Legos around here somewhere.
- ✔ Visited the Lincoln Memorial. During a record-setting heat-wave in DC.
- ✔ Eaten Caviar. At a food fair before I turned vegetarian. I hated it.
- ✔ Pieced a quilt. I've made a block piece for a quilt, if that's what you mean.
- ✔ Stood in Times Square. Which I love.
- ✔ Toured the Everglades. Which was kind of boring.
- Been fired from a job. Not fired, per-se, but I have been laid-off.
- ✔ Seen the Changing of the Guards in London. Yes. Yes I have.
- Broken a bone. And, kock-wood, I never will.
- ✔ Been on a speeding motorcycle. Which I was driving myself. Yee-haaaawww!
- ✔ Seen the Grand Canyon in person. Is there any other way to see it?
- ✔ Published a book. A few of them, actually.
- ✔ Visited the Vatican. But, sadly, not as pope.
- ✔ Bought a brand new car. And it was a mistake.
- Walked in Jerusalem. Not that I wouldn't love to do so, given the opportunity.
- ✔ Had your picture in the newspaper. Not since high school.
- ✔ Read the entire Bible. Two or Three times, in fact.
- ✔ Visited the White House. But didn't get to tour the inside because my tickets didn't arrive in time for my trip.
- Killed and prepared an animal for eating. Not something that somebody following Buddhist precepts would really do.
- Had chickenpox. No pox on me. Yet.
- ✔ Saved someone's life. And had somebody save mine.
- ✔ Sat on a jury. And hated every fucking minute of it. BOTH TIMES. If there's TRULY any justice, I will never serve jury duty ever again.
- ✔ Met someone famous. I've met a number of famous people, actually. Though "famous" is a relative term. I've met movie stars and stuff, if that's what you mean.
- ✔ Joined a book club. I was in a couple of those Time/Life book club series.
- ✔ Lost a loved one.
- Had a baby. I seem to have misplaced my uterus...
- ✔ Seen the Alamo in person. Which was half as thrilling as eating mango ice cream at the Menger Hotel down the street.
- Swam in the Great Salt Lake. Though I have visited the city a number of times.
- ✔ Been involved in a lawsuit. It's not as much fun as you'd think.
- ✔ Owned a cell phone. It's NOT just a phone... it's an iPhone!
- ✔ Been stung by a bee. Meh. I don't recommend it.
- ✔ Fallen in LOVE. Love? a few times. LOVE? Once. Once was enough.
- ✔ Decorated a Birthday Cake. And it was both naughty... and delicious.
86 out of 100... not too shabby.
This meme sounds like it’d be a good online questionnaire/survey that would do the checks, counting, and stuff for you. I’m too lazy to actually *make* this myself. Shoot, I’m too lazy to actually read all them. Instead I just skim.
Like dude, do you only buy used cars now?
I regret the choice of car I made… not buying it new. It would have sucked new, used, or refurbished. The only way it would not suck would be it I lit it on fire and pushed it off a cliff. Then it would at least be entertaining.
Hey, is Sully photocopying his ass in that photo?!?
I *love* Monsters, Inc.
But I love all those Disney and animation movies. It was still really cute though and one I’ve watched many times over.
I’d watch it even if I wasn’t *forced* to by all of my little cousins :).
And I think it’s awesome that you have your own Sulley and Mike Wazowski!
Also? 86/100 is not shabby at all. I’m pretty sure you’re one of my heroes. 🙂
Is it weird to say that I just blushed like a schoolgirl when I saw my blog on your blog? I’m touched!
You can be touched all you like… it’s the least I can do for giving me the meme idea! 🙂
Love your new Sully (and Mike)!
Great post – change that – awesome post
I only had 59 out of 100. But by this time next year I should have added at least 8 more!
Sounds like I have a lot of catching up to do – having never been to the US I’m obviously missing all of the US attractions.
But I can beat you on the Chicken Pox thing, if that’s something to be proud of.
Memes have slowly seemed to be disappearing, which is awesome. Someday they will hopefully be extinct.
What a list !!! Wow
So, you’ve sold cookies….would you like to BUY some from my kids? Pretty please?
Holy cow… you’ve done a lot. 86 out of 100 is stellar.
I took a photo similar to your fog photo just last night. Mine was more about snow … and, even then, I can see you have more snow than we do.
I only have 24 if i counted correctly. 🙁
and the ones I have were not the overly exciting ones! 🙁 Not that I really think you or anyone cares overly, but since I took the time to type this out:
Started your own blog (somewhat). Slept under the stars (it sucked). Played in a band (the high school band, i played clarinet & sax too!). Watched a meteor shower (couldn’t see much of it tho, but saw some). Been to Disneyland/World (both). Had a pillow fight (I’m a girl, I dont remember, but stereotypically I must have at least once in my life). Taken a sick day when you’re not ill (just once- my friends were coming for vacation and my boss scheduled me a bad shift for that). Seen a total eclipse (i believe so…). Watched a sunrise or sunset (I was in 6th grade and bored tho). Kissed in the rain (not overly romantically, tho). Gone to a drive-in theater (it sucked). Been in a movie (a home movie…not THAT kind). Bounced a check (no comment, i’m not the richest person and it wasn’t on purpose). Saved a favorite childhood toy. Visited the Lincoln Memorial. Stood in Times Square (probably the best moment in my life so far). Visited the White House. Had chickenpox (as a kid). Met someone famous (MC Hammer!!). Joined a book club (when I was in 5th grade I was in the Babysitters Club Book Club!!). Lost a loved one. Owned a cell phone. Been stung by a bee (and I’m allergic so that sucks.) Fallen in LOVE.
That’s all…I’ve got some catching up to do!
This is the second meme I’ve run across today. I’m putting this in my rainy day meme back.
Not really a fan of these listy memes myself but every once in a while I feel the need to comment on other people’s answers 😉 So, er, this is no exception then 😉
The whole Gondola in Venice thing never appealed to me. I lived 60 mins away by train and used to go regularly. Never once did I ever think it was a good idea. Now, buying cans of beer from the Venice street vendors and drinking them on the way home on those double decker trains was something I got behind with great enthusiasm 😉
I LIKE this list. It’s practically a list of things you must do before you die. :p
Not only is this the most checkmarks I’ve seen on this meme, it’s also the most entertained I’ve been in reading one. It’s also proof positive that you have the most interesting life of anyone I know.
amazing what you can find on ebay