Yesterday as I was picking up a Coke with Lime at the local mini-mart, a youngish guy comes running up to me, slaps me on the leg, then say "HI" with a big smile. "Hey buddy," I say. Out of nowhere a girl (older sister?) appears and says "Is he bothering you? Sorry, he's special".
The fact that she said "special" in a very condescending tone did not upset me half as much as the fact that she used air quotes when she said it. "Oh really?" I replied. "Well I think people who use air quotes are special". This went right over her head, as she just stood there staring at me. After a sigh, I added "no, he's not bothering me at all," which is when she grabbed her brother(?) by the hand and drug him off.
The constant lack of respect that people seem intent on showing their fellow humans is really starting to piss me off. Sure the kid was mentally impaired, but did the bitch have to be so demeaning about it? Doesn't the kid have it hard enough without having to put up with this crap too?
Anyway, because I have to go into work today, I am going to swipe the "62 Questions" meme from Mikey (though he actually made it a 59 question meme by neatly avoided questions 27, 36, and 39, which I had to get from Google). I've put it in an extended entry so the meme-hating masses can skip it, if they so desire.
- How old do you wish you were? Twenty-nine.
- Where were you when 9/11 happened? On my way to a job. I didn't find out what was happening until I got to the site, and everybody was crowded around the one television they had.
- What do you do when vending machines steal your money? Beat the ever-loving crap out of the machine until something falls through.
- Do you consider yourself kind? Sure.
- If you had to get a tattoo, where and what would it be? I'm leaning towards the cartoon skull I drew.
- If you could be fluent in any other language what would it be? I'd settle for full fluency in the two languages I once knew, but have forgotten... Japanese and Italian.
- Do you know your neighbors? I avoid my crazy neighbors at all costs.
- What do you consider a vacation? Not working. It doesn't even matter if I am in my own apartment... any time away from work is a vacation.
- Do you follow your horoscope? Not unless Sarah calls me up and tells me about it. I don't believe in astrology.
- Would you move for the person you loved? Yes.
- Are you touchy feely? Not with people I don't know.
- Do you believe that opposites attract? Yes. Chemistry is chemistry.
- Dream job? Billionaire playboy.
- Favorite channels? Whatever networks have my favorite show of the moment. Right now that would be UPN (soon to be CW) because they have Veronica Mars.
- Favorite place to go on a weekend? On a motorcycle ride... doesn't matter where.
- Showers or Bath? Shower.
- Do you paint your nails? Uhhh... no.
- Do you trust people easily? Not really.
- What are your phobias? Deep water, heights, and creepy insects (see #13-18 on my 100).
- Do you want kids? Not really.
- Do you keep a handwritten journal? I have a book I write in from time to time, but it isn't really a journal of events... that's what my blog is for.
- Where would you rather be right now? London.
- What makes you feel warm and safe? President Bush's foreign policy. Ha ha, I kid... in this day and age, how can anybody feel warm and safe anymore?
- Heavy or light sleep? Light.
- Are you paranoid? No.
- Are you impatient? I can be... especially when driving.
- Who can you relate to? Invader Zim. I too want to take over the earth and crush my enemies.
- How do you feel about interracial couples? The same way I feel about any other couple. People are people.
- Have you been burned by love? Oh yes.
- Whats ur life motto? From the most excellent Buckaroo Banzai: "No matter where you go, there you are."
- What's your main ringtone on your mobile? I frickin' hate... HATE... frickin' ringtones. My mobile is most always set to vibrate, and if I simply must have it be audible, I use the default Motorola tone, which is the least offensive one I've found.
- What were you doing at midnight last night? Watching a very funny free episode of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia I downloaded off the iTunes Music Store.
- Who was your last text message from? Oooh... probably Mary. She's where 99% of my text messages come from.
- Who's bed did you sleep in last night? My own.
- What color shirt are you wearing? Bluestone (hey, it's a "Zombies Ate My Brain" T-shirt!).
- Most recent movie you watched? I haven't seen a movie in a theater in a long time, but I recently watched Superman: The Movie and Superman II so I can be prepared for Superman Returns when it hits theaters.
- Name five things you have on you at all times? Pants, my Jimi Wallet, my mobile phone, sunglasses, and a sense of humor.
- What color are your bed sheets? Uhhh... some kind of blue.
- How much cash do you have on you right now? Twenty-three dollars is tucked in my Jimi.
- What is your favorite part of chicken? Any part that hasn't been removed from a chicken which he couldn't live without.
- What's your favorite town/city? Edinburgh, Scotland, UK.
- I cant wait till... My current overwhelming work schedule has ended.
- Who got you to join MySpace? I think Nicole mentioned it in her blog one day, and I decided to bite the bullet and grab me a page. She's my very first MySpace friend!
- What did you have for dinner last night? Crunch Master crackers and a fried egg sandwich with a nice glass of Coke with Lime. I then had a Drumstick ice cream cone for dessert.
- How tall are you barefoot? Six foot, two inches.
- Have you ever smoked crack? No. I can't afford drugs.
- Do you own a gun? No. It is against Buddhist precepts to own a gun.
- What do you prefer to drink in the morning? Chocolate milk... but it's usually a Coke with Lime because I don't have any chocolate milk.
- What is your secret weapon to lure in the opposite sex? A club with which I can knock them over the head with and drag them back to my cave.
- Do you have A.D.D.? Probably. I find it very hard to concentrate on only one thing at a time.
- What time did you wake up today? 4:20am
- Current worry? I don't worry, as it is unproductive. If you worry about something and it doesn't come to pass, then you worried for nothing. If you worry about something and it happens, then your worrying did nothing to stop it. Besides, thanks to term limits, Bush can get elected again.
- Current hate? I guess that would be ringtones, as mentioned in #31.
- Favorite place to be? With friends.
- Where would you like to travel? Egypt, Greece, Australia, and Southern Italy.
- Where do you think you'll be in 10 yrs? Wherever I am (thanks Buckaroo Banzai!).
- last thing you ate? A Crunch Master cheddar cracker before I went to bed last night.
- What songs do you sing in the shower? I don't sing in the shower, but I can't get the live version of Mercy In You by Depeche Mode out of my head lately.
- Last person that made you laugh? Stephen Colbert of The Colbert Report.
- Worst injury you've ever had? Kidney stones.
- Does someone have a crush on you? Probably. What's not to love?
- What is your favorite candy? The incredible U-NO chocolate bar. I also like Mars Delight, but I don't think that it is available here in the USA.
Off I go...
Hi! I am going to Chicago next month.
Ah, but are you staying at the Hard Rock Hotel?? 🙂
I really think you need to seek professional help for your growing “Crunch Master” addiction.
I think you found some way to bring them up in nearly every question!!
Yes, but I was eating Crunch Master crackers while I was answering the questions, so it makes perfect sense! 🙂
Stealing this…Thank you!
I despise air quotes. Especially overused air quotes. (Yes, I admit I have used air quotes in the past, but I tend to be a hypocrite in the end.)
Your meme was quite interesting. I, for one, have some things in common with you. Although I have never learned any second language besides Spanish, I would quite like to learn Japanese (and once considered learning a bit of Italian as well).
Not sure why, but now I have the Church Lady stuck in my head.
Well isn’t that SPECIAL?!?
And don’t thank me Tracy Lynn, thank Mikey! 🙂
As for “air quotes” BB… I only use them when I am quoting Dr. Evil dialogue from Austin Powers. I used to not mind air quotes, because people used them when actually quoting something and it was helpful additional information to the conversation. But now-a-days, people use them to diminish or insult, so I’ve kind of moved past them. 🙁
I’m stealing this as well…but not posting til after the wine wears off. Wee!
You’re right, air quotes have morphed into a tool to use to insult others. I like the heavy metal style air quotes that Dane Cook uses.
#40 — about chicken, good one. I have to remember that one.
#59 — Colbert — YES!
You are right absolutely. Everyone has the right to be respected. Everyone has right to the respect.
About this questionnaire, I stole it to you too.
You like the questionnaires. I am astonished that you did not answer Marcel Proust Questionnaire.
Le plus excellent! Questions très bonnes!
hahaha!! a friend and i like to missuse airquotes on purpose. like
how “are you” today?
and we do it just to upset people who dislike airquotes – everyone looks like a geek doing it, the are the great equalifier.
love your answer to #40
oh and stealing your list =) kiss kiss
Très bonnes réponses, Dave.
Q8. I believe that my next trip will be Edinburgh.
Q14. How can you answer, in the same sentence, “Monet, Van Gogh, Diego Rivera, Michelangelo, DaVinci” for the painters and Depeche Mode for the composers ? Ok, Depeche Mode are very good, but IN THE SAME SENTENCE, Dave !!! 🙂
Q23. Très bonne traduction. I think you speak, write better French than me English !
Yes! Depeche Mode are the greatest musicians of all time! I will set them against Bizet, Rogov and even Debussy!! 🙂
I’m afraid my French skills are fading… I must often thumb through my faithful French dictionary for words I have forgotten. 🙁
I said that to make you react. 😉
I also think that Depeche Mode “go first” Debussy (I hate Debussy). I can laugh, me, I think that Serge Gainsbourg is the greatest compositor.
As far as French composers go, I love Eric Serra. He scores most all of Luc Besson’s amazing films.
Actually, Tom was your very first MySpace friend. Aren’t you worried about hurting his feelings by listing Nicole as your first?
Of course, Eric Serra est un génie.
It is odd. If you ask me (there, immediatly, now) my american compositors, I would answer (without thinking) Marvin Gaye, Steevie Wonder… While pop-rock compositors, I would indoubtedly british compositors like U2, Pink Floyd, Massive Attack, Queen… and who, again ? I forgot… a group whose name starts with D… Ah yes… Depeche Mode !!! 🙂
Hey, I came by MochaMomma’s entry and checked out your blog. It’s very cool. I like it.
As for that psycho with the brother…she should be run over by a semi!! That makes me angry as well.
Thought you would like this.
Sweet! Super-Hero Cats kick ass.
And thanks for the kind comments Josh… Mocha Momma is a force to be reckoned with in the coffee world, is she not? 🙂
When I went to Claude Monet ‘s house in Giverny, somehow I had most eerie moment standing in his bedroom. Later that evening, walking around Marais heard someone playing Claude Debussy. I was thinking maybe I’ll change my name Claude.
I loved touring both the Monet museum and his home. For a Monet-lover, it’s a pilgrimage that must be made!
Though, the little out-of-the-way surprises are nice as well. The New Orleans Museum of Art has a beautiful monochromatic Monet in white that’s a winter scene I found fascinating.
About answer #46. You say you can’t buy drugs but I think your Apple addiction is your form of drugs 🙂 Especially the iPod offshoots 🙂
I am honored to have been your first MySpace friend. I think I shall also steal this meme. 🙂
My brother is dyspraxic, dyslexic and has a speech impediment. He was put (by our excellent eduction system) into a Special Needs class, when all he needs is people to listen to him and not treat him like an idiot.
After then made him wear a badge with Special written on it so other kids would know to be kind to him in the playground (yeah, ’cause that’s what the kids would be… kind…), Mum and Dad pulled him out of that school.
Just airquoting back at her must have taken a huge amount of will power…
LOL…most definitely. I love the things she happens upon. It’s quite amusing. Her stories are great. 😀
Edinburgh that is an interesting place to be a favourite city, what makes it your favourite? I completely enjoyed it I am not certain what city would be my favourite. Tough question