It's Bullet Sunday from mid-air as I cruise home on Northwest #807! And, since you're not allowed to be shooting bullets on planes anymore, I'm sure an Air Marshall will be along directly to escort me off the flight.
• Security! I continue to be amazed (but not surprised) when people show up late to the airport and decide that they should get to cut in line at the security checkpoint because their flight is taking off in ten minutes. Tough shit! Maybe if you miss your flight, you'll remember to haul your lazy ass out of bed and get to the airport early like everybody else standing in line. I would have loved to sleep-in for an extra hour this morning, show up late, and then cut in front of the line... but I'm not a complete douche.
• Erasure! Having never seen them in concert before, I leapt at the chance when I found out that Erasure would be playing in Milwaukee, and met up with blogging buddies Diane and Heather for the concert, which was held at the Pabst Theater...
Erasure was formed when Vince Clark quit my favorite band ever, Depeche Mode, and split from his follow-up band, Yaz. The story goes that he had intended on doing some new music projects with a rotating roster of singers but, once he started working with Andy Bell, the partnership stuck and they've been making music for over two decades now.
The show, as you would expect from a group with an ecstatic gay fan-base, was FAAAAABULOUS! All the music was beautifully keyed by Vince from his MacBook and a small sequencer, the three ladies backing up the group on vocals were suitably talented, and Andy... well, Andy was Andy... pouring his flamboyant little heart into a remarkable performance that elevated this concert to one of the best I've seen. Given the intimate nature of the rather small Pabst Theater, the glitzy stage for the show had to be condensed a bit, but was still nice. Our first balcony seats offered up a terrific view (thanks Diane!), and the sound was great. The set list had a large amount of new material, but it was the old favorites (like Chains of Love and A Little Respect) that brought the crowd to their feet. All-in-all, it was a great show and I would gladly see them again.
Except next time I'll dress appropriately...
• Young Love! Surprisingly, the opening act for Erasure was really pretty good. This came as a pleasant surprise, because usually concert openers suck ass. The band was called "Young Love" and had an eclectic rock-pop style that made them a good fit for the tour. I'm hoping that their stuff is available on iTunes so I can buy some of it.
UPDATE: Yep, turns out they're on iTunes! Sweet!
• iPhoneable! There are so many things I love about my new iPhone that it's tough to narrow down what's best about it. But right now it would have to be the fact that it has an unlimited data plan. Because nothing makes me happier than being able to tell overpriced airport internet providers to kiss my ass. Having to pay $9.95 for an entire day of access always pissed me off, because a layover doesn't usually go over 3 hours (and $10 for 3 hours is a big rip-off). AT&T's EDGE network may be slow, but iPhone allows me to use it for everything I need... checking email, approving comments, reading my feeds (thanks to NetNewsWire's brilliant new iPhone-optimized site), and kill time surfing the internet. One of my best purchases ever.
• iDead! At least it was one of my best purchases ever until it died just now. With plenty of battery power, I was listening to music on the flight when iPhone just went black and would not turn back on. Taking a wild guess, I held down all the buttons at the same time and eventually iPhone rebooted and everything was fine again. Odd. Hope this doesn't become a regular thing.
And that's it for Bullet Sunday because we'll be landing in 20 minutes. All I have to do now is change planes in Seattle, make one final hop over the mountains, and I'm home!
I love comments! However, all comments are moderated, and won't appear until approved. Are you an abusive troll with nothing to contribute? Don't bother. Selling something? Don't bother. Spam linking? Don't bother.
That’s it — next time I see you, I will help you find your very OWN tiara ;).
Glad you had fun….AND I’m glad Yaz happened, if only for a wee bit.
But you already gave me one for my birthday! What’s a guy need with TWO tiaras? 😀
Yazoo was awesome. Man, those were the days… 🙂
Please Dave- tell me you will wear that get up to the next TequilaCon too?! Pretty Please!
big gay dave is super!
iDead cracked me up. This is the problem that we had with the our Mac…it would just decide to quit…for no reason whatsoever…just sitting there using away and BAM! off it went. And to think I’m considering a new laptop. I KNOW. What is the world coming to when a now-PC convert is thinking about a Mac? But if it shuts itself off automagically even once, I’m going to take it and shove it up Steve’s rear.
That iPhone sounds like a piece of crap. you should just send it to me and be rid of it for good.
Whatever you do, lie to me and say they didn’t play “Chorus” or “Oh L’Lamour” so that way the bitter will go down a bit easier.
Apparently the most annoying bug is receiving a call and not being able to slide the unlock doodad and answer it. Have you had that one yet?
The strange thing I’ve heard about the iPhone bugs is that if you reboot it many of them seem to fix themselves so maybe you won’t have any issues from now on.
You always come up with the best t-shirt ideas when it’s too late!!
I’m thinking maybe you got to the show late, couldn’t find your tickets, and then cut to the front of the line because you’re such a big fan and wanted everyone to understand, because, hey, the show is starting in 10 minutes and you didn’t buy your tickets earlier like everyone else.
Ok, maybe not.
Wow, now I feel old. Erasure!?! Holy crow that brings back memories.
Holy crap now I want an iPhone. I’m not going to be able to blog at all from the road – and I won’t even be in a freaking PLANE!!
Also – what annoys me more than anything about the late comers to the security line is that no one seems to have ever heard about “new restrictions”. A 1 Quart bag? What? Whad’ya mean I can’t bring my box cutters on the plane?
Frickin A People!!!
Since you figured out how to reboot the iPhone, please tell me how I can comment thru my Google feed. I don’t think I can and have to take FIVE SECONDS out of my very busy life of doing practically nothing and switch over to my sidebar to leave a comment.
Who can live like this?
It was a good time! I hope that little gay Dave has the same moves as Andy Bell. 🙂
I ordered Young Love’s cd from their label as soon as I got home!
The tiara wings outfit is stunning Dave and looks suspiciously as if it were custom made. Who is your tailor?
Glad to hear the new phone is working out well. I’m trying to figure out how much longer I can hack dealing with my old phone before I make the leap. Hearing that it lacks multimedia messages was a bummer.
hope you iphone is OK – I’d be FREAKING!
btw, I got my Try Evil t-shirt last week and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it!!!
Ha! Hilly can provide a tiara and I can send you some glittery angel wings that I wore for halloween one year – you’ll be all set!
I’ll wait until iPhone 3.0, and then I’ll buy one. Let them get the kinks out.
Hmm… I just use google reader. Seems to work just as well with a mobile presentation…
t-shirt, t-shirt, t-shirt. THAT Dave angel MUST be a t-shirt.
Aww, lil’ Dave even has go-go boots!
Sorry I’ve been missing out on reading and commenting. Glad you’re home and out of the friendly skies. Those damned Apple products…never can trust them. I see that 146,000 were activated in the second quarter….they were expecting 200,000-500,000.
Those numbers came from Wall Street analysts who, like meteorologists trying to predict the weather, are wrong more often than they’re right.
But Apple SOLD something like 270,000 units in two days… which makes iPhone a massive success. As more people run out of their current mobile contracts and discover how dang cool that phone is, more people will be buying them. I know that everybody who sees mine, wants one!
*sigh* Can I live in the States again? Unlimited DATA. Man, I miss that. I just blogged about that topic recently.
Hey… Email me. I want to add you to facebook! 😉
Any idea why Yazoo went by the name Yaz in the US? Yazoo already taken? Glad you liked Erasure. They were the first band I ever saw live. Birmingham NEC when they toured ‘The Innocents’ album back in 1988.
LAUGHS AND GIGGLES from Omar and I!!!
Love the visual!