PRAISE BE TO KRYPTON! FINALLY, FINALLY, FINALLY... Richard Donner is going to be given the cash to re-cut Superman II into the movie it was supposed to be. I have been dreaming of this for over two decades, and cannot WAIT to see it when released on DVD this November 28th!
I have written about Donner's Superman II here. And there is also a Wikipedia entry on it as well.
In other totally sweet DVD news... my copy of Pinky and The Brain: The Complete First Season arrived today!
I love this cartoon and have been waiting for YEARS for it to show up on DVD. Something about mice plotting for world domination just fills my heart with joy.
And now, since I want to watch my DVDs rather than figure out what else to write, I've filled out a meme from over at Avitable's blog in an extended entry...
- (x) Smoked a cigarette. Eight horrifying months. Never again.
- (x) Crashed a friend’s car. It was a toy remote-control car and, not only did I crash it, but it was totally destroyed.
- (x) Stolen a car. A MatchBox car from a guy in retaliation for him breaking one of mine.
- (x) Been in love. Both the best and (eventual) worst experience in my life.
- (x) Been dumped. In the worst possible way.
- ( ) Shoplifted. Oddly enough, I never had the desire to even try it.
- ( ) Been fired. I'm awesome! Nobody would dare fire me!
- (x) Been in a fist fight. Twice.
- (x) Snuck out of your parent’s house. Only once, and it still bothers me.
- (x) Had feelings for someone who didn’t have them back. Elizabeth Hurley, obviously.
- ( ) Been arrested. I've been detained, which is entirely different.
- (x) Gone on a blind date. It was one of my most horrifying, uncomfortable experiences ever.
- (x) Lied to a friend. Never to hurt. Sometimes a lie is kinder than the truth.
- (x) Skipped school. Oh who hasn't?
- ( ) Seen someone die. I've seen a dead body, but never seen it happen except on television.
- (x) Been to Canada. Many, many times.
- (x) Been to Mexico. Tijuana only. Lame, I know.
- (x) Been on a plane. More often than I'd like, actually.
- (x) Set a part of yourself on fire. My arm as I was trying to put out a kitchen fire.
- (x) Been skiing. And I totally suck both at snow and water skiing.
- (x) Met someone from the Internet. Several times.
- (x) Been to a concert. DEPECHE MODE RULES!!
- (x) Taken painkillers. When you have kidney stones, you will take anything. A-N-Y-T-H-I-N-G-!
- (x) Love someone or miss someone right now. Sigh.
- (x) Laid on your back and watched cloud shapes go by. Practicing my cloud vaporizing.
- (x) Made a snow angel. Wheee! Though with global warming and all, it's been a long, long time.
- ( ) Had a tea party, pretend or otherwise. BEEN to a tea party, yes. HAD a tea party, no.
- (x) Flown a kite. I should do that more often.
- (x) Built a sand castle. I should do that more often too.
- (x) Gone puddle jumping. Every time it rains. I never grow up.
- (x) Played dress up. It was called "The 80's" my friend.
- (x) Jumped into a pile of leaves. Wheeee!
- (x) Gone sledding. Wheeee!
- (x) Cheated while playing a game. There are some games where cheating is part of the rules!
- (x) Been lonely. Not so much anymore.
- (x) Fallen asleep at work/school. School. Never work.
- (x) Used a fake ID. But not to buy liquor. It was to enter a conference I wasn't invited to but needed to attend.
- (x) Watched the sun set. Many, many times. The best are in Hawaii.
- (x) Felt an earthquake. In California, Seattle, and Japan. I must attract them?
- (x) Slept beneath the stars. And hated it.
- (x) Been tickled. Though I am not really that ticklish so where, I cannot say.
- (x) Been robbed. At knife-point, I might add.
- (x) Been misunderstood. Constantly.
- (x) Petted a reindeer/goat/kangaroo OR jackalope. Goat. Right before milking it.
- (x) Won a contest. Most recently I won a copy of The Lost Blogs from Pauly!
- (x) Run a red light/stop sign. My motorcycle doesn't trigger the sensors all the time, so I have to.
- (x) Been suspended from school. Once. And it was so f#@%ing stupid that I still get angry about it.
- (x) Been in a car crash?. In the late 80's on the way to see Bon Jovi in concert, baby!
- (x) Had braces. Not the fun experience everybody says it is.
- (x) Felt like an outcast/third person? Sure. Hasn't everybody from time to time?
- (x) Eaten a whole pint of ice cream in one night. Baskin & Robbins Chocolate-Almond.
- (x) Had deja vu. It was a glitch in The Matrix.
- (x) Had deja vu (haha - Avitable added this one). It was a glitch in The Matrix.
- (x) Danced in the moonlight. In La Jolla, California... of all places.
- (x) Liked the way you looked. Well, parts of me, anyway.
- (x) Witnessed a crime. THAT HAPPENED TO MYSELF!!
- (x) Questioned your heart. But not soon enough.
- (x) Been obsessed with post-it notes. You should see my office.
- (x) Squished mud through your bare feet. Though not by choice.
- (x) Been lost. Given how often I travel, this happens quite often.
- (x) Been on the opposite side of the country. I've been to all corners, but am missing a bit down the middle.
- (x) Swam in the ocean. Many places in the world.
- (x) Felt like dying. When I had kidney stones, there were moments I wish I were dead.
- (x) Cried yourself to sleep. Because I didn't question my heart quickly enough.
- (x) Played cops and robbers. And never enjoyed it once.
- (x) Recently colored with crayons. Last week at Cucina! Cusina!
- (x) Sang karaoke. Always badly. And once ended up wounded because I was singing while drunk.
- (x) Paid for a meal with only coins. But it was way back when Burger King had singles for 49¢.
- (x) Done something you told yourself you wouldn’t. All too often.
- (x) Made prank phone calls. But probably not in the way that you think...
- (x) Laughed until some kind of beverage came out of your nose? AND very nearly choked to death because of a co-worker who told a joke while I was drinking a Coke.
- (x) Caught a snowflake on your tongue. Well, sure.
- (x) Danced in the rain. I've danced everywhere.
- (x) Written a letter to Santa Claus. It's what kids do.
- (x) Been kissed under the mistletoe. Yep. It's not always a pleasant experience.
- (x) Watched the sun rise with someone you care about. And later despised.
- (x) Blown bubbles. It's what kids do.
- (x) Made a bonfire on the beach, at the lake. One of the more terrifying experiences, because the bonfire we built got very close to being out of control.
- (x) Crashed a party. Usually by accident though.
- (x) Gone roller-skating. In the 80's it was a big deal.
- (x) Had a wish come true. Not always the WAY I intended, but sure.
- (x) Jumped off a bridge. While bungee jumping.
- What time is it? 7:15pm PST.
- What is your name? Dave.
- Any nick names? Dave2.
- Mother’s name? Mom (duh!).
- Dr. Pepper or whiskey? Neither. Coke with Lime (if forced to choose, I'd take the Dr. Pepper).
- Body piercing? I used to have my ear pierced.
- How much do you love your job? More than a poke in the eye.
- Favorite vacation spot? Edinburgh, Scotland.
- Ever been to Africa? No, though I would love to go.
- Ever steal any traffic signs? Kind of. It's a long story.
- Ever been in a car accident? In the late 80's on the way to see Bon Jovi in concert, baby!
- A, B, C, D, DD cup size? I like to LOOK at any size. But I agree with Avitable that anything over a "C" is getting to be a bit much to handle.
- 2 Door or 4 Door? All the really cool cars are 2-door.
- Favorite pie? Grandma's apple pie.
- Favorite number? Four.
- Favorite movie? Field of Dreams.
- Favorite holiday? Carb Awareness Day.
- Favorite food? Pasta Salvi from Salvi's Bistro in Columbus, Ohio.
- Favorite day of the week? Sunday.
- Favorite brand of body soap? Philosophy "Waffle Cone" (seriously!).
- Favorite TV show? Currently: Veronica Mars. Of all time: Cupid.
- Toothpaste? Crest Whitening Expressions Cinnamon Rush.
- Favorite smell? Grandma's apple pie.
- What do you do to relax? Blog.
- Message to your friends reading this? How you doin'?
- What do you do when you are bored? Read blogs.
- What do you enjoy receiving? Money.
- Furthest place you will send this message? My higher self on another plane of existence.
- Who will respond the fastest? Dave2.
- Least likely to respond? My lucky readers who are partying down at BlogHer and too drunk to type.
- Who's the best Avitable? According to a Google search, this guy is.
Sweet news on the Superman II remake. That is my favorite Superman movie of all time.
Hooray Pinky and the Brain!
So this is your way of quick jotting something down so you can get to your DVD – a 100+ question meme? Man, you must type some serious wpm!
Try Philosophy’s Gingerbread Man. Very crisp and clean, not like baked gingerbread, more like ginger ale.
I know what kind of soap to make for you now.
Wheeeee! (Sorry, I was just replying to all your wheee’s)
And…um…I’m sensing a WEE bit of bitterness….
Just a wee bit. 🙂
OMG i totally love the brain!!! I always wanted to become him when I was a child!!!!
Loved this entry… Loved all, Dave !!!
Ah, Pinky and the Brain remaned. In France, these cartoons characters are : Minus et Cortex.
My favorite dialog :
Minus : Tu veux faire quoi aujourd’hui ? (what do you want to do today ?)
Cortex : La même chose que chaque nuit, Minus, tenter de conquérir le MONDE ! (The same thing as each night, Minus, to try to conquer the WORLD !)
I am quite excited about Donner’s cut. I’m also interested to read about Donner and Geoff Johns on Action Comics.
And from your protestation in your meme answers, I’ve determined that you must have actually thrown a massive tea party with lots of little guests.
how old is pinky and the brain?
secretly, i always felt my sister was pinky…
I gotta tell you this. I hope it doesn’t upset you too much. You and my almost 14 year old son have the EXACT same taste in movies, cartoons, and most TV shows. He even thinks Elizabeth Hurley is hot. Now, he’s very precocious, being a rising 11th grader at just 14, but still Dave… I gotta wonder how come you two would probably be best friends in real life. 🙂 He gasped, audibly gasped at your copy of Pinky and the Brain. He’s horribly jealous. You wanna rip us po folks that can’t afford DVDs a copy? I highly doubt our library is ever gonna have it. Sigh.
Have fun watching.
Pinky and the Brain!!! I haven’t seen it in ages and yet I still know all the words to the song. I’m off to harrass my brother to burn me a copy, and he no doubt has it already.
They’re labratory mice
They’re genes have been spliced
So many questions, so little time.
How did you find ‘Philosophy’?
Best Avitable? To me you and him are related. Both smart, dark sense of humor, bearish and have naked(almost) pictures of famous women(Ms.Hurley and Ms.Lindsay).
Pinky & the Brain is the ultimate BEST cartoon ever! loved “Pinky & the Brain & Larry” episode!
Even if it will be for the better, I just can’t help but fear a re-cut. I think George Lucas has make me a frightened individual.
Pinky and The Brain — great show!!!
Superman II was taken away from Donner and changed from how it was originally meant to be… so, technically, what we got in the theaters the first time around was the re-cut. This is not to say it was a bad film, I loved it and maintain it’s one of the best sequels ever, but have high hopes for what it could have been.
There have been stills, storyboards, and dialogue circulating for decades that hint at what Donner had planned, and I like what I’ve seen. If nothing else, we’ll get to see Jor-El again, instead of the more awkward conversation with Lara, so I am pretty psyched. 🙂
THIS saved you time?!?!
Uhhh… copying somebody’s meme and typing in my answers? Yeah, that goes by fairly quickly because I’m a pretty fast typist and don’t really take the time to think about my answers (can’t you tell?).
My lord those were long memes.