Posted on Monday, August 3rd, 2015

Dave!Still recovering from my sleep-deprived trip to Maine.

Last night I bought milk for cereal and had a surprise when I went to pour it. It wasn't milk... it was half & half! I didn't understand how this happened until I ran back to the store so I could have cereal for breakfast...

Darigold FAIL!

When the cartons are angled towards you, all you see is purple. Somebody at the store got confused and loaded the fat-free milk section with half & half. I didn't bother checking because I buy milk from the same spot week in and week out.

Pretty crappy of Darigold to not do color-coding right. If you're going to make two different items the same color, you should at least try to differentiate them design-wise. ON THE PART PEOPLE ACTUALLY SEE!

What does one do with half & half anyway? What is it even? Half milk and half fat? Scary.

Tags: , ,
Categories: Food 2015Click To It: Permalink

1. b.e.earl says:

Half and half is a mixture of milk and cream. It’s mostly used in coffee.

Here’s the deal question: What is non-fat half and half? By definition alone, it shouldn’t exist. (See non-fat mayonnaise)

2. Belinda says:

There’s a compelling argument to be made that the half & half may be healthier for you than the skim milk, as skim milk is way higher in sugar, which more and more researchers are beginning to blame for heart disease than fat. Half & half is half milk and half cream, and it tastes just like whole milk, to me.

3. I actually intentionally put Half & Half on my cereal. Blame my grandparents when I was a child. Nothing like corn flakes with Half & Half and fresh peach slices…

4. Marc Zimmermann says:

Well, what is fat-free milk? White water? Even low-fat milk (1.5-1.8% over here) tastes like a crappy, seriously watered-down version of full milk (3.5-3.8%).

5. Dad says:

There is the same problem with gallons of milk. You would think that companys could get together and have the same color of cap for fat free. 1%, 2%, and whole milk (3%). You also have to be very careful to read the date stamp or you will get a mouth full of sour milk. YUK!

Most milk, at least what the local dairies produce, it color coded quite well. Red for Vitamin D (or what we used to call Homogenized) blue for 2% and green for 1%. I don’t recall if Fat free or non-fat milk had a color as I rarely purchase that.

I hear you on the color of the containers. Way confusing. Coffee-mate creamer is very similar in it’s confusing the customer. There’s barely any different between regular, sugar free and fat free. Someone needs to make them quite different.

7. Dana Darigold says:

Hi Dave,

On behalf of Darigold, we want to apologize for the confusion that the similar packaging has caused you. We are currently updating our packaging to better differentiate between products and would love to send you some coupons as reimbursement. Please feel free to email me at I apologize also that we didn’t see this post sooner.